need help with microsquirt and signal generator

Olekat

Im trying to use a modified stock signal generator with a microsquirt v3. The bike won't start. The "long tooth" has been cut off and the remaining holes welded and smoothed. I have rotated the signal generator so that tooth #1 is about 87° btdc.

While testing the vr wires voltage rises first then goes negative so believe i have the polarity correct.

I am using gsxr cop with a bosch 0211 ignitor, wasted spark

20181104_160833.jpg

20181104_163005.jpg

Do you see RPM on TunerStudio while cranking? That is a good indication if the issue is on crank triggering side or somewhere else.

Tooth logger looks like it probably should work. Just be warned that it's very likely that you won't get 4-1 trigger pattern working properly on bike engine. Light crank combined with relatively high compression results uneven crank speed over revolution. And if trigger teeth are too far apart the ECU can't detect reliably where the missing tooth is. In practice 12 teeth seems to be on borderline. May work on some engines and give trouble on others. 24 teeth has been pretty reliable on all engines that I have been playing with.

Beside of crank triggering, have you tried to fire the coils with test mode? That would tell if you have all the wiring and basic settings correct. Btw, 3.3ms looks like too long dwell for GSX-R COP coils. At least the coils that I have measured have had about 2ms maximum dwell.

9 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

@Arttu - btw a 4 tooth modified std GSXR wheel will work - that's what I used on mine so I know it does - admittedly not great but it does.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm reading only three teeth registering? Possibly a reason it won't start..... picture of your wheel may help?

Well, let's say it may work :) There are quite many variables that may affect to result. Missing tooth phasing, compression ratio and so on. Also there might be variation between different ECUs how the software handles decoding. So yes, it may work but based on my experience it's asking for trouble with Megasquirt ECUs. Fine if you want to experiment and see if it works. But I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for trouble free installation.

4-1 wheel has three actual teeth so the graph looks correct.

As Hasse hinted I can supply 24-2 wheels that bolt on oil cooled engines and work with stock pickup sensor. 

15 minutes ago, Arttu said:

4-1 wheel has three actual teeth so the graph looks correct.

Agreed but there are only two short peaks before a tall one unless it's just a tooth counter and the 'missing' one is causing a spike added to the following one.I'm just used to seeing regular pulses with missing tooth giving a definite gap.

BTW my 4 tooth was 4 teeth + 1 cam tooth - ancient Motec M8 ECU and low'ish turbo CR.

3 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

BTW my 4 tooth was 4 teeth + 1 cam tooth - ancient Motec M8 ECU and low'ish turbo CR.

Oh yes, that makes quite big difference. With cam sensor the ECU can use it for syncing the crank position and it doesn't need to try detect missing tooth.

That tooth logger shows time between teeth. So two short ones are gaps between normal teeth and long one over the missing tooth.

Ts is showing 250 rpm while cranking seems like it should be higher than that.

The coils are firing the spark looked kind of weak.

It almost started yesterday and I noticed the injector pulse width was up to 24ms. I think I'll pull the injectors and clean/check the spray pattern.

I drilled a hole in the rear of the trigger wheel and rotated it to position tooth 1 at 90° but I must have a crooked eye because its approx. 87° btdc. This is not a picture of the actual wheel.

I do only see 3 "teeth" on the above pictured log.

20181105_105020.jpg

• 4 weeks later...