TL or SV 1000 donor bike?

I'm looking for a litre twin donor bike to use for my project, are there any benefits to a TL over an SV?

I won't be using the rear end so that's irrelevant, and I haven't decided on the front end yet so the USD vs RWU isn't a bother either. I'm thinking more about fuelling and electrical/electronics as whichever one I get I'll be using or converting to injection.

32 minutes ago, Askamaskinservice said:

https://www.blocket.se/landskrona/Suzuki_tl1000r_81364378.htm?ca=11&w=3

This ones is in Sweden and has been exported from U.K originally.

30000miles.

~2000£ is that expensive or normal?

Seems to be about the going rate for a tidy bike with MOT.

3 hours ago, K.H.I said:

I reckon you will find more abused TL's then SV's, so its a case of do you want to possibly add more spanner twirling time or not?

I don't mind either way TBH. If there's no advantage to one over the other it's just a case of see what comes up and go from there. (y)

All are injection. TLS would get my vote for power/weight/kudos, although you may prefer the look of the R frame and higher exhaust mounts etc.

Never had any electrical problems with any of the 3 TLs (2 S and 1R) I’ve owned other than a one-off duff coil on a sat-for-ages  bike. Plenty of quirks however all well known and documented across the interwebs now.

SVs aren’t oldskool are so are off topic on this site. Get a TL :)

54 minutes ago, banoffee said:

All are injection. TLS would get my vote for power/weight/kudos, although you may prefer the look of the R frame and higher exhaust mounts etc.

Never had any electrical problems with any of the 3 TLs (2 S and 1R) I’ve owned other than a one-off duff coil on a sat-for-ages  bike. Plenty of quirks however all well known and documented across the interwebs now.

SVs aren’t oldskool are so are off topic on this site. Get a TL :)

Looks and frame etc aren't an issue, I mainly want the engine and ancillaries to put into a GSX frame. I'm guessing that might make it OSS compliant?  

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Matt-Man said:

did this actually develop any further?

Yes and no. I put together the measurements and used a bare GSX frame to see what would need to be chopped and changed. The upshot was that so much of the frame needed to go to make it work that it essentially meant building a new frame off of the headstock and swing arm pivot. Obviously that's doable, but the end product would be so far from the GSX that it became a pointless exercise. 

15 hours ago, Matt-Man said:

Gutted, I’m contemplating doing a TLR powered Katana themed bike.. Maybe using a Ducati Frame. 

That'd be the way to go at it, a frame to suit the engine and running gear with whatever bodywork you wanted grafted on to that.

As has been said on here many times, you can do anything. The bit that often gets left unsaid is that just because you can doesn't mean you should. xD