Oil temp gauge

Alex

I've got a sensor in a sump plug adaptor, it gives a cool temperature reading there (close to oil cooler return) - mid 60's- 70's when out riding generally, goes up quickly in town, but drops quickly when you get moving again. I know that if the oil gets hot in the sump the engine is damn hot, but if you keep moving the temp is pretty well controlled. You can put an adaptor in the oil galley plug down by the bottom frame rail. Anywhere close to the head will give you a high reading - but I just find around the sump area convenient.

• Like 1

I fitted one to the main oil gallery, couldn't bear the thought of hitting a speed bump and tearing one out of the sump plug.

Seems reasonably accurate but only use it for a guide as I don't not how much heat it's picking up from the cases but on a 18-20 dgr day is 70-80  and rises to @ 90-95 on the gas

M16  to 1/8NPT thread for sensor

image.png.7e5fedb307ad710d80af0bff4d586da5.png

Edited by Lachie04
  • Like 1

Yes I don't have a bandit but the question was just were is an easy place to put it, so 2 cents (P).

Yep, I have a center line sump with very close fitted 4-2-1  and we have some high speed humps around and have grounded it out several times if I havent taken them sideways :( 

When I looked at sump pug fittings the ones I saw stuck out some and looked prone to be hit by just about anything. I thought about welding in a fitting but dead easy just stick it were i did. Sorted and works quite well 

BTW 24dgrs today and a trip around the hills 95  -100 depending on wrist

Edited by Lachie04

Interesting points about the location, does pay to check - I did measure the clearance, the sensor sits 6mm+ above the point where the shock would be bottomed out. Akrapovic obviously do their homework, the rear pipe work is just out of harms way at full compression, the down pipes have touched down though... but I have mucked around with stance. If I had to go up over a high kerb I'd have to go careful - I live out in the sticks, so no speed bumps and the fairing/exhaust have to ground down 5mm before reaching the sensor - have touched the lower fairing down when in a corner being silly, but the centre point of sump would've been well out of the way. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 3:45 AM, Lachie04 said:

I fitted one to the main oil gallery, couldn't bear the thought of hitting a speed bump and tearing one out of the sump plug.

Seems reasonably accurate but only use it for a guide as I don't not how much heat it's picking up from the cases but on a 18-20 dgr day is 70-80  and rises to @ 90-95 on the gas

M16  to 1/8NPT thread for sensor

image.png.7e5fedb307ad710d80af0bff4d586da5.png

Sounds like the same setup I have.  I am measuring the oil galley temperature.  Mine usually reads around 210-220 degrees F.  If it gets higher I have three electric fans zip tied to the oil cooler.  On a hot day if I am stuck in traffic it MIGHT get to 230 deg F at the most.  I mounted my analog gauge in the center of my fairing in a flat spot above and in between the speedo and tach.

In fact, one time my front fender was cracked in half (long story) and was partially blocking the oil cooler.  I might not have noticed right away except that my oil temperature was running noticeably hotter.

Also on the highway if I draft semis, my oil temperature rises about 15 deg F.  That's how I can tell I am in the slipstream.

Edited by BanditStates
typos