Oil volume bottom feeding oil cooler

Dukeman

1 hour ago, Dukeman said:

Oil volume bottom feeding oil cooler.

Struggling to know how much oil to put in my Kat..1230.

I stop the engine and look asap... leave it a few minutes and it goes past full.

Any ideas?

If the connections are below oil level it will not drain ! Subject to the cooler size probably between an additional 0.25 - 0.5L

On 10/22/2018 at 8:09 AM, Dukeman said:

Oil volume bottom feeding oil cooler.

Struggling to know how much oil to put in my Kat..1230.

I stop the engine and look asap... leave it a few minutes and it goes past full.

Any ideas?

Uhmm.. Stop looking at the sight glass?  xD

I doubt the oil cooler holds much oil as most of it is made up of voids to let the air blow trough. Perhaps the oil lines contribute to the extra oil volume at least as much or more, especially if the cooler is placed far from the take off points and a larger diameter hose is used. But still.. How much oil could it possibly hold?

I think oil level isn't critical on these aircooled engines. So long you're above the lowest level and not starving the engine doing prolonged wheelies etc it's probably fine. Overfilling is said to be risky though.. The angle at which bike and engine are placed (due to shorter forks and longer rear suspension) does infuence the oil level in the sight glass a lot. Also keeping the bike truly upright when taking a reading is crucial too.

Any ideas? Well.. I suppose the oil level eventually returns back to normal or else you've just overfilled it of course..?

• Like 1

Unbolt oil cooler, allow to hang below engine, crank engine over to fill oil cooler, top off.

Yes, putting the bike nose down makes them take closer to 4l with a cooler (depends how nose down you are).

The shitty stock pickup does make them very critical on being underfilled though - because it picks up from 3/4" above the bottom of the pan, and because the design means it instantly pulls air instead of oil as the oil sloshes around, and because most of them actually leak and pull air at the joint between the pickup and the cases.

I highly recommend blanking the stock pickup tubes and cutting a pickup hole on the bottom corner of the pickup, and making a gasket for the thing. (I also modified a GS1000 pickup screen to have a removable screen to make cleaning it easier)

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

For reference this weekend I have drained the cooler from my GSX-R750L (which is the largest standard Suzuki oil cooler) and it contained 0,5l oil. Just the cooler, without the lines.

Ah.. Great bit of info (meten is weten ;))

As the GSX-R750L oil cooler probably is about at least twice the size one would fit onto an aircooled engine, I reckon that would point to the lower end of Gixer1460's estimate. BUT like he also hinted, we have no actual info on the size of the oil cooler (or hoses) in question here. So.. Dukeman, what (type/size) oil cooler have you fitted to your Kat?

15 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Is it only the EF that has a mesh screen in the pick up? I've not stripped an older GSX1100?

No.. AFAIK all aircooled Suzuki's have these meshes.

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

For reference this weekend I have drained the cooler from my GSX-R750L (which is the largest standard Suzuki oil cooler) and it contained 0,5l oil. Just the cooler, without the lines.

Ah.. Great bit of info (meten is weten ;))

As the GSX-R750L oil cooler probably is about at least twice the size one would fit onto an aircooled engine, I reckon that would point to the lower end of Gixer1460's estimate. BUT like he also hinted, we have no actual info on the size of the oil cooler (or hoses) in question here. So.. Dukeman, what (type/size) oil cooler have you fitted to your Kat?

I'm still not completely sure whether bottom feeding oil coolers would drain out or not. I've never noticed an extra delay in the oil pressure light coming on though. So if not, I think the weight of the oil will however pull a (small?) vacuum inside the top of the cooler, and the equal size of which in oil would fill the sump after shutting down the engine. Right?