good engine paint

Gsx1100er

Just bought a 1990 gsxr750L as a project , to go with the EFE / GSXR hybrid I already have ( dirt cheap as someone has previously butchered it to near death ). At some point I want to repaint the engine ( probably satin black ) and was hoping someone might be able to recommend something decent.

Any help appreciated

Gaz

Edited by Gsx1100er
smelling error

I've used Halfords Engine Satin Black on the last 6 engines I gave a spring clean/service/rebuild. What I like about it is the black dulls down a touch and has a hint of grey. Looks far more subtle i.m.h.o. Just brush it on and it flats out as it drys. Never found the need to spray on as happy with the finish, key is not to repaint any area till dry from the last coat. As long as you have all loose dirt, flakey paint removed and the engine degreased and bone dry, the finish will last in all weathers. 

• Like 1

have used Crafts spray, made in Holland and until recently for sale here in Lithuania. Painted an EFE rocker cover 6 years ago and it still looks like new now. A mechanic friend now uses Motip Wheelspray with good results as well.

At work I have painted a few ditch pump engines with Harley Davidson Texture paint, not cheap but very good stuff.

But as said before crap prep = crap result, no matter what paint you use.

• 2 years later...

Just embarking on a 750L restoration project and am also researching paint available in the UK for the engine but I would like the stock grey colour.

the ones discussed in say what now!?.com are all USA so cant get them here so would appreciate any suggestions.

I gather complete engine dissassembly is required to do this right.

What / how had people prepped the engines with ? I was considering vapour or bead plasting ?

I think the same grey colour on the gsxr engines is hard to find.

As to prep, all depends on whether you want to spend the time or spend the money on having it vapour blasted?

If you do it yourself, you need to make sure you remove all the grease etc, I use a engine clear first then go over it with panel wipe (thinners) then give it a good rub down, one more time with the panel wipe then spray.

Or just get it vapour blasted and paint.

24 minutes ago, wraith said:

I think the same grey colour on the gsxr engines is hard to find.

As to prep, all depends on whether you want to spend the time or spend the money on having it vapour blasted?

If you do it yourself, you need to make sure you remove all the grease etc, I use a engine clear first then go over it with panel wipe (thinners) then give it a good rub down, one more time with the panel wipe then spray.

Or just get it vapour blasted and paint.

A match is a Scania lorry chassis paint. FBOB found this out. I have a tin in my shed for future use and I can post the exact shade tomorrow.

• Like 1

I found the correct engine colour RAL7021 Black Grey from Huddersfield Autopaint, and although this is not actually engine paint, it certainly gave my 1100K a welcome refresh. Had I actually removed the engine I would have probably searched for the proper stuff, but this has lasted a season well, and as long as I don’t spill anymore petrol or clutch fluid on it, I expect it to last a few more years. Defo worth a try as I think I paid about £15 for a single can

ADF34CF4-1B57-4328-BE3A-0419111EB886.jpeg

2E021067-C5D5-4DC4-B49F-9BA14C14DE9E.jpeg

FFB71E04-2FFB-4C75-87B2-2ABF7642BE1B.jpeg

• Like 1

Nah, honestly Tony, it’s absolutely spot on, I was quite surprised, a nice Satin finish as it says on the tin (sounds like a bloody Ronseal ad) iirc I think I found the colour code on an American gsxr type site, they of course had the luxury of the  correct PJ1 type stuff. Loving the Halfords Volvo grey, may give that a try too(y)

I don't think I've seen anyone paint an engine with it still in the frame beforeO.o. Even with one sitting on the bench I find that it's impossible to clean every nook and cranny without removing the starter and generator and then spending two weeks sanding cleaning sanding cleaning (repeat a zillion times) with various tools/chemicals before getting round to my first can shake.

• Like 1
On 10/23/2018 at 7:29 PM, 370steve said:

PJ1 USED to be good, they have changed the formula, it is now Sh1t

I'm glad you said that, because I used it on some EFE engine parts after everyone said it was great, and it stated flaking off quite soon after.

Thought it was just me...O.o

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I'm glad you said that, because I used it on some EFE engine parts after everyone said it was great, and it stated flaking off quite soon after.

Thought it was just me...O.o

I was told that PJ1 makers were told they would have to get EU certification ( E mark) for import into European Union for their "full Fat" paint, would have cost them around £100K for the process, so they ditched the formula for a less harmful one, thats why you can only get "proper" PJ1 if you order it from non EU countries from my understanding. 

• Like 1