Closer inspection of my GSXR750F

billd

I've got the bike home now and half torn apart for a closer inspection. I have run the bike so have a bit of a sense about it's mechanics but still a bit of a question mark. What's good about the bike is it's mostly all there although with 53,000 miles it shows signs of having been ridden hard and put away wet! My plans for the bike, and I'm a bit hesitant to admit it here  as everyone appears to heavily modify and improve their bikes , is to restore it back to original. I know...………….a bit of a sin as a new OSS member but please indulge me as I'm hoping I can get some advise from some of you.

My first goal is to strip it down to the frame and build up the rolling chassis, repair all fairing damage and repaint it, disassemble the motor and rebuild it. Suspect this will take me till spring. My first question is who is a good supplier of motor parts like shell bearings, rings, gasket sets  and transmission bearings that you would recommend? Suspect the head will require a valve grind and perhaps guides and seals. As I live in the midlands any recommendations on firms that do this work on bikes? Thanks in advance gents. Have included a picture as I'm aware of the rule...……...it didn't happen or will not happen with out photos!!

GSXR7503.jpg

• Like 3

Hi biild ! 

I like you bike which is in almost original condition , and I like you idea to restore and keep engine in original condition ,but I think that you don`t need to fully open whole engine since major wear becomes usualy around cylinder block and cylinder head , except in case if you gear box is bad than to fully open engine will be required , any way you can check my topic on similar 750cc bike as your in -OSS members projects- part of the forum , under the topic name - Resurecting old racer -

Best Regards 

Thank you for your comments and encouragement. Buzuki, very good advise! I will heed your suggestion re engine top  end. Have just installed the original exhaust and have ran the big a bit now with it on and it is already starting to settle down and smooth out. Think more a result of just running it as it's been layed up for quite sometime. Will have a read of your project, thanks again.

6 hours ago, billd said:

Have just installed the original exhaust and have ran the big a bit now with it on and it is already starting to settle down and smooth out.

What I don`t like about original exaust system is that the inner diameter of the exaust four pipes are much smaller than inner diameter of four cyl-head exaust holes ,

IMO that suppress engine breathing and limit engine to produce full peak power , for low/midrange RPM that mismatch is not so important but for high RPM it is ,

I think that is the one major place where Suzuki chocked those early GSXR engines to not develop over 100HP , since in early/mid 80` was some sort of` Gentleman agreement ` in beetwen big motorcycle manufacturers to not sold motorbikes with more than 100HP to customers , today that agreement do not exist anymore , to make long story short , when I replaced original exaust system on my 88 gsxr750j with full open race system I have noticed two things , one is that my bike become much faster , and second is that engine developed less heat , less heat indirectly means longer engine life .

• Like 1

I suspect you are right about the original exhaust system but I do want a stock configured GSXR750F so will stick with it. Once I've got my 50 posts in will offer up the Vance and Hinds system that was on the bike. Motor is now loose in the frame and I will pull it Sunday or Monday. As you say Buzuki, will do the top end only.

Yep, spares prices are often: 'Is the decimal point in the right fucking place?' But this has always been so for as long as I can remember. It's always worth checking NOS parts prices and availability though as I have more than once been pleasantly surprised. And then there're the Eblag chancers asking for more for NOS bits that are available for cheaper from an official parts supplier. The twats>:(

Just cross checked in my storage and found no front fender for 1985 model , but I promise you that tomorow will contact few of my friends who still keep many used but OK parts for old skool GSXR bikes , it will be good to post here few pics of that particular 85 front fender , those pics will help me a lot to pick up the original one for you .

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, wsn03 said:

Ive rebuilt mine twice since the mid 90s and im in the West Midlands, so local to you for help if you get stuck. Mine is exactly the same as yours

10696392_10152393686562807_8670078617148866360_n.jpg

Your bike looks great! Thanks for your offer of help may have the odd question for you in the future. Have you done much engine work to yours? If so what supplier did you mainly use use?...……………………..I quess the future is now!

22 minutes ago, billd said:

Your bike looks great! Thanks for your offer of help may have the odd question for you in the future. Have you done much engine work to yours? If so what supplier did you mainly use use?...……………………..I quess the future is now!

Thank you, its the no1 love of my life :-)

I've not had to do engine work aside from a new oil pump and tappets. I change oil every 12 months or 2000 miles, no issues.

i have had to rebuild my carbs - and I have 1100G carbs for a smoother life

Regarding Suppliers - I tend to use Frettons in Leamington Spa- they're just ok folks, or Fowlers. Have used Robinsons with an OSS discount but didn't notice any big saving.

For carbs only use oem Mikuini, everthing else seems to be made of cheese.  Needle float valves best sourced oems from USA to save a fortune. However folk on here praising Wemoto, and their needle floats are from Japan. Im wondering if they are rebranded Mikuni- good price and they do take product seriously 

If you need a mechanic the only man I trust with my bikes is Andy Kerfoot  in Coventry- hes just very very good indeeed. Every other mechanic I've met has been full of shit or a total butcher. I use Andy if I dont have time to do a job on my bikes.

I'll pm.you his number

Always happy to answer any questions 

Edited by wsn03