Bandit 600 build with 1200 parts

Drake

Hey all i just joined the forum at the advice of numerous people across different pages. I have a 2003 b6s that I'm building. I've come across a 2004 b12s parts bike that is mostly complete, including the engine. I'm picking it up tomorrow but i'm here for some build advice. I've been told that the swing arm is a pretty big swap and i'm intending on doing that, but should i swap the forks as well? Do the brakes swap over and should i source those from the parts bike or should i get mk1 brakes as i've been told are better. I'm almost ready to paint my frame so the assembly is going to be happening shortly. Do the calipers swap or should i use the whole brake system? What else should i do to improve performance and handling? I've only been in the bike game a year so i'm relatively new to builds and custom parts and such. Thanks in advance.

Everything you mention is pretty much a straight swap. Front and rear ends go in easily. Don't know about the Mk2 calipers being any worse than the Mk 1's. The 1200 engine should go straight in the frame, if you're thinking about more power. The Mk 1 does, so I can't see the later engine causing any problems. Don't use the std rear shock. Later GSXR models are an improvement. FBOAB will be along shortly to specify,

and ... welcome to OSS! 

Simple answer, fix the 1200 and use the 600 for bits  :tu:tu

all the bits are interchangeable as the frames are the same except for a few tiny differences, mark 1 4 pots are easier to maintain than the mk 2 6 pots so people generally refer to them as better brakes.  they bolt straight onto a 1200 but not a 600.. get a gsxr shock there are loads that fit, needs to be 320 - 330 mm eye to eye..:tu

• Like 1
On 10/16/2018 at 6:54 AM, fatblokeonbandit said:

Simple answer, fix the 1200 and use the 600 for bits  :tu:tu

all the bits are interchangeable as the frames are the same except for a few tiny differences, mark 1 4 pots are easier to maintain than the mk 2 6 pots so people generally refer to them as better brakes.  they bolt straight onto a 1200 but not a 600.. get a gsxr shock there are loads that fit, needs to be 320 - 330 mm eye to eye..:tu

I appreciate your response. I would do that with this 1200 but my 600 frame is already blasted and almost ready for paint and I want to retain the plastics and such as the 1200 doesn’t have those. I’ll look for say what now!? shocks as well after buying the 1200. Another question, I found a 93 say what now!? 1100 that’s complete minus a few cheap parts. Would the 1100 be a better route to go as far as performance mods? I’ve heard the USD forks are better, though they’ll take some modifications to fit to my frame and the swing arm would work but I’d have to trim it down to fit my frame. Would the say what now!? be a better option just for performance parts and some fun tinkering with modifying parts to fit? I’m not on a time frame or anything and some fancy mods would be fun to play with. 

I got my first 1200 bandit 21 years ago after many years of gsxr ownership, but my knees were shot so after riding the first bandit I was converted, so id say keep the 600 shiny frame and fit all the 1200 parts to it, :tu

But as this is an oldskool site most people will say get the 1100 and use that, :) Us Bandit owners are tolerated on here..:tu

Anything you need to know just ask as ive had a few and modified all of them:D

AXyYcWI.jpg

• Like 2

I’ll definitely be hollering at you when I need help. It looks like I’m actually going with a different 1200 than mentioned earlier. I found a local one and the guy is trading me a complete (albeit basket case) 1200 for two 600 motors I have. I can’t complain too much there. My first bike a year ago was my 600 and I was sold the moment I got her running. 8,000 miles on an 03 and I only paid $800 for it. Put 4000 miles before cooking the lower bearings from oil loss (oil pan bolt backed out.) so now I’m building her to be much more fun. I have an fz09 currently so I’ll need the 1200 power because I don’t think the 600 will do it for me anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fat bloke or well anyone but he seems to be the resident bandit expert, do you know much about engine builds? The 1200 I bought I tore down because I didn’t trust what the guy that sold it to me said so I’ve torn it down to basically nothing. I found out one of the pistons is screwed so I’m gonna buy another piston and new piston rings for all of them. I also will need to buy all new bolts for the outside and I’m probably gonna buy a miscellaneous bolt set off Eblag to cover whatever ones I’m missing. My question though is on the lower case I came across this... I’m not sure how much it will effect the oil circulation of the motor, I can get a used lower case on Eblag but if I don’t have to obviously I’d prefer not to. This is inside the oil pan on the under side of the motor. 

77E66DBB-364F-4479-B1FC-B2FE7866579D.jpeg

Haha actually I found out that that hole and the one on the other side are bolt holes for connecting the lower case to the upper. It looks like someone couldn’t get one out and really did some work there trying to get it out. I think it would be fine if I tossed a washer under the bolt and torqued it properly. I’ll probably take a die grinder to clean that up though and make sure no shavings will end up in the oil.