Oil cooled engine choices?

imago

I'm full of semi useless info and facts..... I can sort of see how Clive arrived at his thinking , the F was more powerful than std 1052s- plus :

The 1100f didn't have any restrictions unlike the GSXR1100L/M/N, but if you fitted a full system (or non restricted silencers)to all of them, the 1100f would produce less peak power. In unrestricted form, the M and N were the most powerful  oc bikes with their 40mm carbs and slightly altered head - the 1100K/L were the gruntiest GSXRs - all would in their natural state produce more peak torque and hp compared with the 1100f - the 1100F always produced a lovely curve though. The early 90's restrictions were a waste of time/fuel and laughable given the 200hp techno things you can buy now !

The 1100K didn't have restricted silencers when they came out and it's why most remember it being the most powerful oiler - the silencers have different part numbers. The restricted silencers got an extra baffle plate which cocked up the power delivery. I remember that the 1100K's silencers were 40c0 and 1 (I think), the 1100L went to 40c4 silencers - there are probably restorers rebuilding a lovely GSXR1100L, look up to see what silencers they should have and hamstring the bike with the 40c4 jobbies - better with the K's 40c0s. The 1100M/N have 41c0/1 silencers - when I originally got my 1100N it had one correct silencer and one from an 1100L, the bike was shite with them - fitted a race system, what a huge difference, these bikes love a decent exhaust.

I'm off to light my pipe and pop on my tartan slippers now !

• Like 3

If you wanted a oil cooled motor but not bandit running gear, have a look at some of the srad stuff, if you keep your eyes open on the site of bay you can get it very cheep, I get a early swing arm for £10 a 750 6" rear wheel for £ 25 forks for £30 and a f/wheel for wait for it £0.99 :D seen the fully braced swing arms for about £25 just keep a eye open. (y)

Think it's why I've now got 3 projects to do xD

• Like 1

A blandit for a grand isn't exactly going to be in tip top order. If the engine needs a refresh and the head removing or worse the cases splitting you're going to have to spend 200 quid on seals and gaskets for a start, and then that's before sorting the stripped exhaust threads.....:) You pays your money and you takes your choice though....

• Like 1

Any 1100/1200 engine or complete bike that you buy these days is likely to have had at least one ham fisted fuckwit owner...I'd make the judgement about what to buy after a chat with the seller...if they can tell you what oil is in it, etc. then I reckon it's more likely to be a good buy.

Don't forget the 750 motors - a well set up L/M can be a lot of fun....