Long term VJ21 bitsa getting more bits

Got my GK73 / GSXR400SP swingarm machined down to RGV specs.

Fits perfect with just enough clearance everywhere. Hope to have the rest of my bearing for suspension linkage this weekend.

Then I will be able to get it back up on two wheels as a roller.....finish up the brakes.....then start saving $$$$ for the engine.

gsxr swingarm.jpg

• Like 2

Nitron rear shock just ordered...$$$$  It was hard to let that money go, but I really wanted/needed a good shock.

My other big expense that was not necessary, but I wanted it anyway.... Dry clutch....along with attached motor from Japan

IMG_3222.thumb.JPG.f9c12e4e5748030ef246df063f218de9.JPG

IMG_3224.thumb.JPG.6022748d335e447e3d5883efb288c3ce.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, busa1300 said:

My other big expense that was not necessary, but I wanted it anyway.... Dry clutch....along with attached motor from Japan

Now I'm jealous.  I've been keeping an eagle eye for a dry clutch for sale at a reasonable price.  There is one on the market now but they want $1600 for it (just the clutch) and I don't want it that bad.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Spongebob just had one on Yahoo last week....missing the outside cover and the straight cut crank gear....about $750....One of the gears had a shift dog broke off it...which are not the same as standard trans...NLA.  I remember when a complete setup was too expensive at $600....those days are long gone :(

Just pulled my trans out today to verify either a standard ratio SPII or close ratio SPI.

It is a close ratio....All shift dogs are undercut from factory as well, compared to all other non SP RGV transmissions.

dry clutch (11).JPG

Dry clutch undercut gears

dry clutch (7).JPG

dry clutch (5).JPG

Regular RGV gears

dry clutch (6).JPG

Longer dry clutch input shaft

dry clutch (10).JPG

Regular RGV input shaft

dry clutch (9).JPG

dry clutch (8).JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:02 PM, jksoft said:

Looking good.

Thanks (y)

Looks like this virus scare is going to slow down progress, as everything looks to be going down the drain..... work may be closing down indefinitely as we can not get parts we need from outside countries....as their companies have been shut down....

14 minutes ago, busa1300 said:

Looks like this virus scare is going to slow down progress, as everything looks to be going down the drain..... work may be closing down indefinitely as we can not get parts we need from outside countries....as their companies have been shut down....

Sorry to hear that.  I've slowed down a little bit as well with work uncertainty.  We were close to landing a new deal when all of this went down; waiting to see what happens now.  I still have some progress to make with parts I already have on hand, but I won't be ordering any new stuff until I have a clearer picture.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my Nitron from the Tuning Works put in and my HEL brake lines on.

Bikes chassis is basically done. Now to get the bodywork straightened out, as I have just received my decals from Image works.

Cutting off the footpeg/exhaust mounts and re-positioning the support bars....had to get bike off the table to get closer to where my welder is plugged in.

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

A little more done to the RGV....still have a long way to go..... Took 3 sets of gauges to make one set that will work with the VJ22 wiring...and changed to the 150 speedo

Finances have stopped on the project until everybody gets back to work, so money can start flowing again.

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

125615eacb6479cb77.jpg

125615eacb647ade89.jpg

This is where the project ends for now.....

Riding season is here finally....getting parts shipped is still too much of a problem....need to save money for the engine rebuild.

I have too much $$$ into it to stop completely......hope by end of summer I will have finances back in order to start the big bore engine build. And hopefully the parts supplies will be available when needed by then.

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 8:10 PM, jksoft said:

This build has been awesome to watch come together and is motivating me to get back to mine.  I got sidetracked over the summer putting my SV back together after a little track get off.  

Is that paint booth at your house?

I work in a paint shop....so I have access to anything paint related when I need it. :pimp:

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to repaint my upper fairing.
It was still in pretty good condition, but there were some scratches in the decals, and some scratches that were deep in the white.
So I stripped the old decals off which was a real pain in the ass, but luckily there was no bodywork or cracks to fix.
Painted it close to original, except I put the 3 blue Suzuki stripes beside the headlights instead of the dark blue triangle.
Tried to keep it looking original, but slightly different at the same time.

Hope to get word on my cylinders and pistons soon....But I did get the throttle and choke cables figured out so they work just like the original factory setup....not much else happening yet.

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

IMG_4458.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 6