Long term VJ21 bitsa getting more bits

I bought this VJ21 as a side note to a package deal, when I bought my VJ22 SP about 5 years ago. The SP was my main focus, but I couldn't say no to a cheap VJ21 even though it was in poor condition. It is an Australian L version so it has the 34 Mikunis and better ignition. The frame looked good and had a clean tank inside....but everything else looked like it had no love for a long long time.

IMG_0491.JPG

I parked it in a corner in the garage and went to work on the SP. Then followed Yahoo actions for various bits for the VJ21 on occasion when searching for parts for the VJ22. I managed to get a set of VJ21 SP forks, RF600 3.5 front wheel, early 600 Katana/teapot drilled rotors.... and mounted them.

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_9643.JPG

The bike had set for untold years not running when I threw the front end parts on. So I figured before I spent any more money maybe I should see if the bike even runs. Pulled carbs and gave a good sonic clean, bottle fed it some gas and it fired right up. Then rode it up and down the road just for the hell of it.....no plates/title/lights.....just smoke :pimp:

Looked terrible but ran pretty good....

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9702.JPG

IMG_9707.JPG

• Like 3

Yes....     

Being a two stroke addict, I had to have a 4 cylinder stroker.....and a RG500 in similar condition is just too much money :(

And I didn't want a boat anchor steel frame, so I used my connection in Japan to get a home market aluminum version. 

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Not much going on with the VJ21 yet, but I did put on the VJ22 17x4.5 wheel just to see how it fit.

Looks way better now, but still has a long long way to go before it ever sees the road.

Will either have to use the VJ21 rotor, or use the VJ22 rear caliper and mount along with a torque rod connected to one of the caliper bolts. Still plan on using a GSXR/SP 400 bridged swingarm. but need to machine down each side about a 1/4 inch to slip in at the pivot.

VJ21 (2).JPG

VJ21 (3).JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Haven't given up, just have too many projects needing $$$ at the moment....

I did swap out the original calipers for a set from a GSXR 1100, and tossed on better bodywork on the tail...

Trying to decide if I am going to keep it a 250 or a 325..... Looking at Bonneville records to see what I can build for a record or just for the fun of it.

I think the VJ22N behind it will be up for sale soon, as I will never get to it at the rate I'm going. Plus I already have a running VJ22FL...

DSC06159.JPG

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I am finally able to get back to a Suzuki stroker project, as my RZV has been done and I got my TZR/SP running good.

A couple pics outside one last time in the condition it is in.....and then up on the operating table. Will dig into this probably in another week or two...

Get it stripped down to bare frame and start completely over..... Nothing will go untouched on this basket case bitsa.

Next post it will be shedding parts......:banana:

DSC06340.JPG

DSC06348.JPG

DSC06350.JPG

DSC06356.JPG

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much going on yet. I did get a radial master off a 06 GSXR1000, and test fit the Suzuki Kit pipes. The GK73 SP swingarm cleaned up along with a set of 208 RS250 cases. Thanksgiving (Nov 28) is a big holiday here and I have a home improvement project that has to be done before then. So it will be quiet out in the shed....after that it will be snowing, and have nothing else to do but work on the projects.

125615dc7622a06833.jpg

full

Edited by busa1300
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 2:27 PM, busa1300 said:

Down to the bare frame.....what a disaster....

Might sell this engine, as I have a 206/208 bottom end I want to use along with different cylinders and crank.

Just following along here as I'm in the midst of a similar VJ21 project.  Mine is not destined for the street though; it will be track use only.  Now I now who is hoarding all of the RGV parts in the states :).

Curious why you are going with the GK73 SP swingarm? 

• Like 1

I grab RGV parts when I can find them cheap.....which does not happen often here.... But I have collected  almost enough to feel comfortable about using my bikes now :tu

GK73 SP....because it looks cool, and definitely has the factory kit kind of look. Also, I am hoping for over 80HP at the rear wheel, so a stronger arm was wanted..... The rear wheel fits as original also. The only thing I have to do is narrow each side about 1/4 inch to fit in frame, all the linkage is in the same place as the RGV.

And I have never seen anyone do it either :D

SP arm.jpg

Edited by busa1300
  • 3 weeks later...

Pulled my SP forks apart to get new seals and bushings installed. Fresh oil and possibly new springs as well

Need to refinish the fork lowers before they go back together

125615e0ea870630eb.jpg

full

Wheels are stripped and soda blasted, ready for some fresh paint....rear wheel was pretty rough,with fair amount of corrosion under the paint.

125615e0ea8706f55e.jpg

full

Frame soda blasted, and cleaner than it has been in 30 years.

Has some marks in the anodize, but it will not be seen after the bike starts going back together again

It's had an abused life....

125615e0ea87086f7e.jpg

full

Edited by busa1300
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, busa1300 said:

Pulled my SP forks apart to get new seals and bushings installed. Fresh oil and possibly new springs as well

Need to refinish the fork lowers before they go back together

125615e0ea870630eb.jpg

The frame looks great.   Do you plan to apply anything to the frame to protect it after the soda blasting?

Fork lowers look much like yours.  I am taking them tomorrow to try vapor blasting them.  I'll post up some before and after pics.  Mine aren't SP so I am planning to rebuild them with stiffer springs and Racetech valves.  Been going round and round on that, but after getting the quote back from Maxton, I pretty much made up my mind.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2019 at 4:16 AM, busa1300 said:

Engine is out....but previous owners left me with some booby traps to get through.

some snapped bolts....drilled out screws....cross threaded nuts....

Hope to have a bare frame soon to soda blast, then start building a bike.

687DEAAE-30CF-4E7E-95CE-960AA61BF35A.jpeg

C3CAAB95-CE6C-44AC-86F1-9555F03F8B45.jpeg

Good to see a stroker being put back together. Intrigued by the bike bench. Did you make it yourself or buy it ? How high does it lift the bike and how did you get bike up there ? Want to build something for my project as back is complaining about all getting in and around bike. i like the fact thats it`s made of wood and looks  well made

On 1/11/2020 at 4:24 PM, jksoft said:

The frame looks great.   Do you plan to apply anything to the frame to protect it after the soda blasting?

Fork lowers look much like yours.  I am taking them tomorrow to try vapor blasting them.  I'll post up some before and after pics.  Mine aren't SP so I am planning to rebuild them with stiffer springs and Racetech valves.  Been going round and round on that, but after getting the quote back from Maxton, I pretty much made up my mind.

Frame is Anodized so it is already protected. Soda blasting does not harm anodizing in any way.....at least not on anything I have done. 

Fork lowers I used a scotch brite type of pad on the bare aluminum to give it a factory brushed kind of look....Then I clear coated and baked them

A2066B9E-77D6-4B91-94C6-FC223EC07445.jpeg

E6E40522-DFCA-4C35-9D18-77187DA51353.jpeg

70FE5ADA-70FA-4879-85D8-5345977018C4.jpeg

Edited by busa1300
On 1/12/2020 at 5:57 AM, GS1000 78 said:

Good to see a stroker being put back together. Intrigued by the bike bench. Did you make it yourself or buy it ? How high does it lift the bike and how did you get bike up there ? Want to build something for my project as back is complaining about all getting in and around bike. i like the fact thats it`s made of wood and looks  well made

Thanks....this type of stroker is basically unknown in the US.... Makes it more difficult.

Work bench..... it was a back massage bench that I got from the chiropractic office my wife manages. Just used the legs and the main framework, then put a couple layers of plywood on top. Have a motorcycle ramp from my van I use to get bikes up and down

2 hours ago, busa1300 said:

Frame is Anodized so it is already protected. Soda blasting does not harm anodizing in any way.....at least not on anything I have done. 

Fork lowers I used a scotch brite type of pad on the bare aluminum to give it a factory brushed kind of look....Then I clear coated and baked them

E6E40522-DFCA-4C35-9D18-77187DA51353.jpeg

Love the fork leg look.  I was able to get to the vapor blaster last weekend and this is how my fork legs turned out.  I'm debating whether or not to clear them or not.   Your treatment definitely brings the closer to the stock look.  

Before:

20200111_182252.thumb.jpg.7dd1d6aa0ae62deecb4df02fff88bf95.jpg

After

20200112_204908.thumb.jpg.e00b4c53764af2c40eff013c419cf52c.jpg

Edited by jksoft
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have wanted to get my own aquablast / vaporblast machine.....but just a bit out of my price range for just me.

Would be a good business to retire into....

Got some of my bolts and bits shined up and replated this weekend. Might start bolting it together one of these days.

274F62E9-B59E-4D56-AA14-0097388541D5.jpeg

ECF279D9-5526-4C73-9475-4FFDF2CE6EF5.jpeg

Edited by busa1300