Starter Clutch fail, as per my build thread..

CockneyRick

Open to a wider audience here, looks like the starter clutch has failed on the 1127 drag build.

Never entered my head as i've not had one fail ever before, only my GS1000 did quite a few years back.

Anyhoo, cover off to watch it & the starter turns the idler gear, which in turn rotates the large gear c/clockwise.

I know this should then lock & force the inner to turn on the crank, but this ain't happening.

Trying to turn it manually clockwise is ok & other way is not. But under starter load it spins freely!

I have never had to fix one of these, so don't have the specific tools. Any tips would help, plus best place for rebuild kit, or dump it & get a 2nd hand one?

43754180_756141888068772_3929892275521323008_n.jpg

Looks like i've answered my own question. The starter clutch on 1127-1157 engines has many (30+) rollers, so it's not a repairable part!

And when i took the big bolt off, it was literally hand tight, which could explain the free spinning of the large starter gear! 

More things i'm finding out about this engine as i go along!

43712992_524639531364113_4521028389909299200_n.jpg

This reminds me of my first 1052. Bought it with a serious rattle/knock. Turns out that the original starter clutch was held together with 3 rivets and this one had sheared one off. No damage and got the bike for a case of beer. Replaced with the updated clutch (looked exactly as above) and voila.

Glad you got er sorted.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, CockneyRick said:

It was! degreased bolt & crank end surface. Reassembled, Loctite & torqued up. Bingo i have an engine that turns over ;) 

Sometimes it really is the simple things. Why it was loose is a baffler?

Cos ya forgot to tighten it up properly cos ya was on net talking about it.:$

Edited by jonny1bump