WTF is the point of the “headlamp” indicator on a GS dash?!

I have been having an issue lately when I flip up to the high beam on my ‘83 GS, the bright ass, red, “headlamp” indicator comes on as well as the blue high beam indicator. It is very distracting and I don’t see the point of it. I can see if the headlight is on without it. All my lights are on. It isn’t on with the low beam, thankfully. I have had an LED in there for the last year. I did just replace the charging circuit without routing it through the rest of the harness, I have it straight to the battery. It started doing this a couple weeks after that change. It also doesn’t do it once and a while, just to screw with me.

Is it an indication of something else wrong? I’m getting ready to put a piece of tape over it as I don’t know where to look for the problem.

Cheers, Zweihammer 

I think it is supposed to come on when the bulb is blown so you have a fault somewhere or it's a resistance thing going on as said above. The completely unecessay gizmo box thingy that controls all this nonsence can be removed but it has to be done carefully as it is not a strightforward job. I am assuming you have a GSX1100 (16 valve) which was branded in the US as a GS. I have the instructions for removing said box somewhere but I will not be home until the end of November to find the bit of paper:)

• Like 1