GS1000G - EFI conversion

Hi!

I bought a GS1000G 1984 model last year. It had tons of plastic on it. Looked like a Goldwing. I've stripped it down, and rebuilt it as a cafe racer "light". I like comfort since I use my bike for commuting every day. So I'm not looking into crazy ass horse powers. 

Any who, 

I'm struggling with the carbs. I've done proper cleaning and rebuilding. It works ok now, but some of the parts where not looking to good. I have to do more. Parts tend to be a bit expensive here in Norway, even buying from US, the taxes for import ++ is heavy. 

I'm playing with the though of converting into fuel injection. Where I live the weather is very different, with huge variation in temperature and humidity. Resulting in carbs would need tuning 3-4 times a year to be optimal.

1. Is there a throttle body I can use direct on the existing intake? I'm looking for approx 100 hp, and have been looking at suzuki, Gurls blouse, kawazaki throttle bodies. Looks like 600ccm has 34mm and approx 100 hp. 

2. Can I use a standard ECU, or do I need a micro-squirt?

3. Do I need cam indication for the ECU, or is it sufficient with an oxygen sensor? 

During the season there's some crashes, and a decent throttle body and an ECU is pretty cheap coming from any bike. 

I'm also looking into replacing the old ignition to a Dyna S or 2000, but that's not an real issue. It's not the original ignition at the bike at the moment. It's some kind of upgrade, but it's not electronic. 

Thank you for your thoughts. This is off my base knowledge. I've been fixing two strokes engines since I was 9 years old. I'm currently 34. Don't know that much about fuel injection.

Jens

4 hours ago, Askamaskinservice said:

Welcome to OSS.

If you are not in a hurry i'm making the same thing with a 1100F.

So might be adaptable to your bike, when i'm done.

And i live next door.(Sweden)

Hi! Not at all in a hurry. I have a job, and kids.... say no more :P Very interesting indeed! How far are you with your project? 

2 hours ago, Blubber said:

As for your 34mm throttle bodies question ... the GSX1400 has them too.

The stock injectors of it are very useable from 100BHP (  factory stock 1402cc ) to about 250BHP (turbo) 

Only the spacing is daft 75 - 100 -75mm ( approximately )

Hi Blubber, 

Great! That's useful information. Thank you =)

11 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

Thanks, 

So I've seen =)

I've red posts from Arttu, and projects. Most of the projects in here has turbo and crazy ass hp. I feel I'm a bit on the lame side :p

Hey, everyone must start from somewhere ;) There are some photos and info about my first EFI conversion on stock GSX engine, almost 15 years back:

www.iki.fi/arttuh/mopo/en_summary.html

I'm not sure about carb spacing of your GS1000G, maybe it's the same than on GSX1100? In that case there aren't much choice for "drop-in" throttle bodies. Old Kwak GPZ is the only one with correct spacing, AFAIK. But with little modification you can make others fit.

I wouldn't try to use any stock ECU from some modern bike. Too much trouble to arrange all the sensors etc. like the ECU expects and then tuning possibilities will be too limited to make it work properly on completely different engine. Better to use some fully adjustable aftermarket ECU. Microsquirt is one suitable option. Or I can also arrange something if you are interested :)

Edited by Arttu
Link fixed
  • Like 2

Hi and welcome to OSS :)

I use my gs1000g all year round here in the UK, (I know we don't get it as cold for as long as you over there) but come the cold/weter months i ues/put in the tank Silkolene FST fuel additive, works a treat stops any carb icing and helps remove any moisture in the fuel.

Had problems with my bikes running in winter with the wet and or cold but the FST  stop all the problems ;) 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Arttu said:

Hey, everyone must start from somewhere ;) There are some photos and info about my first EFI conversion on stock GSX engine, almost 15 years back:

www.iki.fi/arttuh/mopo/en_summary.html

Hi @Arttu !

Funny you linked in your old project. That was one of two sides that got me into the idea 7-8 weeks ago. Since then I've been searching and reading =)

I'm not sure about carb spacing of your GS1000G, maybe it's the same than on GSX1100? In that case there aren't much choice for "drop-in" throttle bodies. Old Kwak GPZ is the only one with correct spacing, AFAIK. But with little modification you can make others fit.

Well in that case it's a no brainer! GPZ Throttle body, with nozzles and pump is really cheap. I'll buy ine instantly =)

Microsquirt is one suitable option. Or I can also arrange something if you are interested :)

What do you have in mind, and what's the price? I'm very interessted :)

11 hours ago, wraith said:

Hi and welcome to OSS :)

I use my gs1000g all year round here in the UK, (I know we don't get it as cold for as long as you over there) but come the cold/weter months i ues/put in the tank Silkolene FST fuel additive, works a treat stops any carb icing and helps remove any moisture in the fuel.

Had problems with my bikes running in winter with the wet and or cold but the FST  stop all the problems ;) 

Thank you =) That's a very good tip =)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

Well in that case it's a no brainer! GPZ Throttle body, with nozzles and pump is really cheap. I'll buy ine instantly =)

Well, think twice :) GPZ TBs might be easy to install but they are now over 30 years old. Injectors are low impedance which causes some extra effort. TPS sensors are likely to fail at that age. Naturally all that can be fixed if needed but some more modern alternative might give better result with less effort. But I guess it's up to you to weight up these different factors.

12 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

What do you have in mind, and what's the price? I'm very interessted :)

I think for your case it would be the same ECU that @bruteforceis using: https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/4931-turbogs-is-going-efi/

I can send you some details a bit later.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

That's some serious reading :D thank you!

Whatever you do don't follow any of the advice on the GS resources link. The guy who attempted it was oblivious to his lack of skill & reluctant to listen to advice & he ultimately failed. It is a prime example of what not to do. 

Arttu was a great help to me when I did my kat. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Arttu said:

Well, think twice :) GPZ TBs might be easy to install but they are now over 30 years old. Injectors are low impedance which causes some extra effort. TPS sensors are likely to fail at that age. Naturally all that can be fixed if needed but some more modern alternative might give better result with less effort. But I guess it's up to you to weight up these different factors.

I think for your case it would be the same ECU that @bruteforceis using: https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/topic/4931-turbogs-is-going-efi/

I can send you some details a bit later.

You are absolutely right. The age has concerned me. Looking at the solution at @bruteforce I'm convienced that the GSXR is a better solution. The GS1000 frame has more space than his 550. He's solution looks very good, and I believe I'll try to copy it as far as possible.

I'm going back a bit to the planning stage. I have already decided that the new ECU should take over the ignition. So @arttu I'll buy taco-wheel ++ from you :)

I don't have much time, so for my part it has to be a lot of planning and purchasing parts. When I'm sure I got everything covered I'll start pretty intensive. Planning a long weekend when

the misses and the kids are out of the house :D

Thank you @coombehouse, you are absolute right. I have to listen and follow peoples advice. I'm on thin ice on this sucker :P

• Like 1

Interesting project, I too will be doing EFI conversion on my gs1100 project bike(s) some time in the future once i finish studies. I think you are in good hands if Arttu is helping you out :) 

We do have some competent people on stuff like this here in Norway too, but my impression is they are usually hard to find, and/or expensive... If you are based in østlandet you could reach out to TM Bryhn in Drammen, he did a great job on a custom ECU for our GSX-R engined FSAE car this summer. Also heard good things about SWR (skunk works racing) in Lillestrøm, and of course you have Klev Tuning. 

Lykke til med prosjektet!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ådne95 said:

We do have some competent people on stuff like this here in Norway too, but my impression is they are usually hard to find, and/or expensive... If you are based in østlandet you could reach out to TM Bryhn in Drammen, he did a great job on a custom ECU for our GSX-R engined FSAE car this summer. Also heard good things about SWR (skunk works racing) in Lillestrøm, and of course you have Klev Tuning. 

Lykke til med prosjektet!

Hi @Ådne95

Sweet! I really appreciate it! I'm located in Fredrikstad and would be looking for a test bench next summer I hope =) Your definitely right on the expensive part... Budget of an new mc is within reach before you know it. Trying to keep this on the low side. 

Cheers, 

Takk =)

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, kja.busa said:

More info please Dave

I've actually gone for a gsxr600 k1-3 throttle body. Working on a project blog. Hopefully i can upload something during the holidays.

The gs had 36-52-36 spacing and the gsxr has 36-36-36. Should be pretty straight forward, but I'm not very skilled, so you probably gonna laugh at my blog.

Check out the project thread "TurboGS is going EFi" by @bruteforce

Picture heavy and great solution 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

I've actually gone for a gsxr600 k1-3 throttle body. Working on a project blog. Hopefully i can upload something during the holidays.

The gs had 36-52-36 spacing and the gsxr has 36-36-36. Should be pretty straight forward, but I'm not very skilled, so you probably gonna laugh at my blog.

Check out the project thread "TurboGS is going EFi" by @bruteforce

Picture heavy and great solution 

I'll not be laughing,  my predicament is the 75-100-75 spacing as mentioned earlier