Different types of Harris frames pics wanted

FJD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
    only have a few GSXR/GSF engines kicking around - that´s too new for this frame me thinks.

My GS1000S will keep it´s engine

Oil boilers are old skool enough and think of the weight benefit! A m8 has just picked up a Mag F1 with a 750 SRAD conversion - needs a fairing though!

20151015_171924 ds1.JPG

Got some more piccies but the uploader size restriction is flexing its muscle!

Bike seems to have had a 'interesting past' and certain details need a bit of looking at - 1 & 4 carb tops rubbing through on the frame, nasty foam filters fit for the bin, electrics are a bit moody and those PC fans aren't gonna last long in our 'sunny' climate! Upsides - polished ally tank, 916 tail piece in carbon but deffo needs a fairing to hide the plumbing............the drag bars will be making a swift exit also I suspect. I think M8 would like to sling a GS1000 lump at it but looking at the cradle I can't figure how it would fit in there!

Edited by Gixer1460
added words
  • Like 2

It looks like the frame was made for a relatively small motor so I cannot see how a much larger GS engine will fit. Most F1s were probably made before any watercooled GSXRs were made so maybe it would help if you asked Harris what engine the frame was made for. They should be able to tell you from the frame number. GSXR 750 (oil cooled) maybe? They made some early F1 type frames for air cooled 750s (Suzuki and Kawasaki) around 83/84 after Formula 1 went from 1000 to 750 limit and before the GSXR 750 came out, and also later on for the GPZ900 which has a much smaller engine than an air cooled lump. You may have one of those that someone has fitted a GSXR 750 boiler in.

• 2 weeks later...

Bud contacted Harris to check original build spec and quite frankly they couldn't be fucked to give / find out any info! Not that impressed with this response......."Sorry M8 no info on that frame number" with no great investigation. I'm sure if he wanted to buy some spares they'd be a bit more accommodating!

• 9 months later...

If your frame has no number it would have been made for track not road. Harris only stamped numbers on road frames. It took me years to figure out what mine was as when I sent photos of it to Harris and spoke to Lester Harris himself, he said 'no, not one of ours'. I scoured magazines, then when it came out, the internet. Years later I tried Harris again and spoke to someone else. He said ah yes, it's a Harris H0nda frame, a race frame built for the CB900. Mine has been nodded for a GS thou so that confused things a bit!

On 16/10/2015 at 10:04 PM, vizman said:

isn't the gs' only a bit longer plus the carbs on the gs' sit lower? friggin' loadsa' room to shot an air beastie in.

GS/GSX is ~2" longer than the GSXR motors - just look at how much extra space you wind up with when a GSXR motor goes into a Kat/GS/EFE. The head looks like it's hard up against the downtubes - fucking good luck getting anything aircooled (except the 750ES/Popup motor maybe) into it.

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, skylinespeedster said:

harris Harribox  . harris only made 50 frames  . for Yamaha and suzuki engines . .ian king had one which housed a gsxr 1100 back in the day . was featured in the "crossbow calender if your old enough to remember .

HA0F6A~1.JPG

One just sold off eBlag with a ZX10 motor in it. I was sorely tempted.

Hatted the Harribox when they first came out (Id love one now) 

Guest YoshiJohnny
31 minutes ago, SiBag said:

One just sold off eBlag with a ZX10 motor in it. I was sorely tempted.

Hatted the Harribox when they first came out (Id love one now) 

Same bloke I bought my Harris off.... he has a couple