whats a bigger tank for gs550

12 hours ago, johnr said:

id expect a gs550 to be returning in the region of 50mpg. what are your plugs like.

This.

I get 100 miles to under 10 litres on my GS1000.

I fill up more often than I need to as I've got a Pingel tap with no reserve.....makes me nervous up here!

Fitting a bigger tank seems drastic, and it'll look a bodge IMO. I doubt anything would be a straight fit.

• Like 1

I think the only thing you could put on without having to mess with the seat would be a gs650gt, I believe they are the same length but a bit wider but your not going to get much more in it 2L maybe.

As @johnrsays you should be getting about 45-50mpg out of the 550 (never got that myself with all the 550 I've had, but that's what the stats say xD)

hey thanks guys, its got a slingshot 750 enigne in it hence the stupid fuel consumption.   its an EZ on the v5 but dont know if thats what the tank is.   i tried another alleged 550 tank on it but the front mounts were alot narrower, mine are 14.5 cm accross if i recall rightly.   I'm not too fussed about the rear mounts, cos im planning a new rear end.  All of this is gonna happen around a b12 engine, which being even higher than the 750, will angle tank even further, raising the tap and lowering the useful fuel available.    does this look like a ez tank, does anyone know what its capacity is supposed to be ?

20181007_142915.jpg

20181007_142959.jpg

• Like 1

im pretty sure its 14L max, thats the most i ever put in it, i was shocked.  i ran it dry once at about 100m , no way its 22L. its  pain in the ass.  So eblag gs850 then.  the 650g recomend was a good one to.   threaded bar for new plugs is a good idea, didnt think about drilling a new hole for it, that would raise the thing to clear the carbs better and allow more fuel at the tap end .

check out my gsx1400 tank attempt. really bad pic sorry.  I had someone make up some plates to blank of the bottom holes and stuck a f###bl### tap in cos its easy, just a threaded pipe into the tank.   if its sat forward enough to not look silly,  it  seriously affected stearing lock.  Maybe i'll dig it out and have another go.  

i think its all about the front mount compatability for now,  can anyone find out what a 850 tank front mount width apart is ? or that dimension for any other models would be useful !  cheers

DSC_0079.JPG

On 10/7/2018 at 10:19 PM, richyrich said:

can anyone find out what a 850 tank front mount width apart is ? or that dimension for any other models would be useful !  cheers

Hope this helps,

Front gap between tank rubbers 65mm

From front tank rubbers to back of tank 560mm

Width of tank at widest part (front) 330mm

Height of tank 250mm

Fuel tap is at the rear on l/h side.

Does look like a Gs650GT tank, they hold about 3 gallons, 13/14 litres, the cap is off centre like yours. Your fuel consumption is poor, could be running rich after fitting the pod filters and jetting - you're getting about 33 mpg (or less !). You should be getting closer to 120 miles from that tank if all is running well. Your filters might need a clean ?