Cams n stuff

crow

Hello gents, looking for some advice/opinions/abuse on the valvetrain for my 1109 motor. 
I've got a set of Kent camshafts with 6.5mm lift (9.9mm at the valve). Will I be OK with standard rockers & springs as opposed to hard welded & heavy duty?
Is there any performance benefit to the heavy duty springs or is the idea just to prevent valve float with big cam lifts?

What was the standard lift at the valve ?

Check several things.

First, will the springs go coilbound with the additional lift ?

Second, is there sufficient clearance between the valve collets/upper spring retainer and the valve guide ?

What will the valve to piston clearance be at the valve timing you want to use?  You might not be able to use the timing you want unless you pocket the pistons.

Valve springs need to be strong enough to keep the valve in contact with the cam when closing.  It depends on the cam profile as well as the lift and how hard you are revving it.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Stiffer springs will be required with a cam giving .396 lift (9.9mm) standard is .346 (8.8mm), else you'll get valve float at high revs - Yes, stiffer springs will lose you power - in tuning you use the softest springs that still control the valves at high revs - plus you need to check all the things already said above .... A good flow job, raising the compression and good carbs is a sure way to get good solid power gains. Big cams don't always give you good power - best done as a part of whole top-end project to make them work well.

1109cc isn't very big for these motors, GSXR1100 cams or GSXR750 K/J cams give good power for the 5 speed box.

Depends what you want to achieve ? there's a lot of experience on this board to help you.

I remember it like the Yoshi stg 1 is 9.8mm lift and it's for standard springs. But I'm not sure. Ape has decent springs for the gsxr but somewhat pricey. Your rpm is going up at least 1000 rpm, so maybe better safe than sorry. Ported head gives great gains even on STD engine me with STD cams so do that as well.

That's a big cam with big duration. You will likely encounter coil bind, valve to piston issues, valve retainer to valve guide clearance issues. Apart from dealing with those issues you will need hardweld rockers with extended pads, port work, bigger valves(big power here) and higher compression. In other words I'd be building the engine around that cam. On one hand if it's not installed correctly using the correct parts it's highly like it will self destruct and on the other hand if you don't build the engine using the appropriate parts to get the most out of that cam, it's likely you won't see a significant power increase. Lastly, that cam won't like traffic. Good cam, will make a lot of power

1 hour ago, nopokewithoutsmoke said:

Just a thought, but I wonder how 30 year old standard Suzuki valve springs would measure up against a new set of the same springs?

I have found four pound drop on base pressure with old springs. Not 30 year old mind you. ;)

Edited by jonny1bump

Thanks for the input chaps! It turned over fine (by hand) before I tore it down, so I don't think the springs were going coil bound and there must be at least a silver rizla's worth of clearance between valve & piston. Will check it all properly once it's back together and timed appropriately.

In the meantime, anyone got experience of using a similar cam, what other parts did you use it with/did it eat your rockers etc?!

Jonny1bump... How do you go about determining the appropriate pressure for a given valve lift?