non starter

philwright

Removed the carbs on my 88j yesterday with the intention of changing the o rings in the carbs and fitting a new throttle cable, anyway to cut a long story short the screws holding the carb rubbers are all solid and I couldn't be arsed to try and get them out for the moment, so I fitted the new cable and put the carbs back on, connected fuel pipes and vacuum pipe set fuel cock to prime and pressed the starter ,it cranks over like a good'n but just wont start ,it doesn't even cough,  pulled the plugs to make sure theres a spark and there is a strong one on all plugs, but they are all bone dry, looks like no juice is getting to them, took the tank off and theres fuel in the pipes, took pipes off tank and turned cock to prime and theres just a trickle out of one of the stubs and nothing out of the other, i expected fuel to be pissing out of both...the bike was running fine apart from slightly hanging  revs before I stripped it down, acratching my head,am I missing something?...any advice welcome.

fuel tap is fucked if it does not flow on "prime".

With the tank off, put it on "on" or "res", and suck the vacuum pipe with your mouth. Fuel should flow.

If it does, install and connect the tank, suck the vacuum pipe before connecting that, to let fuel in the carbs. Bike should start now. Fuel tap is still fuct but at least you'll have a running bike.

Got the bike to run this morning in a fashion, revs are all over the place revving its tits off and up and down on its own without me touching the throttle...somethings wrong somewhere, must have fucked up re -fitting the carbs ?... starting to wish i'd left the thing alone in the first place...any advice please?

Carbs are BST36SS, i removed the carbs and fitted a new throttle cable ,also changed the far left carb top for a good spare one  i had lying about cos it had a small crack on one of the corners ,turned the carbs upside down in order to fit new cable and all the petrol left in the bowls spilled out and that's it...did have a struggle fitting the far left airbox rubber onto the carb body ,and i did check that the fitment onto the manifold rubbers was a good one and made sure all the screws were tight.

I've just spent a fair amount of time trying to sort the carbs on my 600 Srad.

My advice would be: make sure you've got somewhere clean to work with plenty of light, a torch, magnifying glass (yes, really), clean containers for carb parts, penetrating spray for stuck screws and jets, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, nylon wires for poking down brass jets, take photos along the way, ask if you're not sure, and don't rush.

Oh and it might be worth checking that your tank isn't rusty too...

Good luck!

Removed carbs off bike again this afternoon, took float bowls off, inspected the seals and all are Ok, took mains and pilot jets out and blew them through, a couple of the mains were partly blocked with muck, took carb tops off and all diaphragms are ok, again tiny 0 rings are all in place, silly novice question...which are the emulsion tubes I need to be blowing out?...and thanks.

Whats the best way to clean/unblock the tiny holes in the emulsion tubes, just bought a can of compressed air and some carb cleaner, I was going to leave the tubes soaking in the carb cleaner for a couple of days then block one end off and give them a good blast ...is there a better way anyone can recommend?...thanks.