Removal of Gs750 barrels?

dakelvinator

Hi am currently stripping down a 1977 Gs750 engine however i can not for the life of me get the barrels off! has anyone got any suggestions I have tried all manner of WD40, Break cleaner ect but it will not shift off the bottom end? The engine was sitting up for a long time so i am assuming that their is a location dowel or slimier that is seized? the engine its self is not seized. Any suggestions would be grateful thanks in advance.   

a good blast of penetrant down the stud holes ........let sit for a tad while the penetrant works its magic....... a few good taps front to back.....use a rubber mallet or a block of wood and hammer ....not to damage the block . choose the cam chain tunnel area as not to break the cooling fins

Edited by no class
17 minutes ago, no class said:

a good blast of penetrant down the stud holes ........let sit for a tad while the penetrant works its magic....... a few good taps front to back.....use a rubber mallet or a block of wood and hammer ....not to damage the block . choose the cam chain tunnel area as not to break the cooling fins

Hi I tried to get fluid down the stud holes but some seem blocked what chemical do you use? 

4 minutes ago, no class said:

liquid wrench ........but over on your side of the pond it might be unavailable....but any quality penetrant will work . get as much of the crud out as you can.....loosen it up with a piece of stiff wire , poking down into the affected areas , compressed air and lots of fluid.......

Thanks Ill give a go K. 

front crankcase studs in the centre tend to just seize in place to the barrels. ive actually cut the studs with a dremmel before now and pulled the barrels off before setting too with an extractor, but have you thought about using a stud extractor to remove the studs whilst the barrels are still on and then getting new studs. might be easier than risking the delicate ally fins.

keep soaking all the studs with penetrant........you can try the double nut method or use the stud tool ( if you have one ) to try and unsieze the steel studs  from the ally casting ....if using the stud tool , get it placed on the stud as low as possible.......try adding some heat (don't over do it )  to the threaded portion of the upper crankcase .......then slowly twist out the stud . repeat the process for each stud .

2323.png

untitled.png

Edited by no class
  • Like 1

i dont think they actually stick in the casting. i think the corrosion of the stud where it passes up through the barrels is what locks it in place. its just the luck of the draw, ive had them where ive had to cut them off and ive also had them wind straight out.