Mablethorpe contender

And so it begins... again.

Years ago I got drawn into the wacky world of racing motorcycles.

It all began quite innocently- you start with what seems harmless & easily available, first it's trackdays then roadracing but after a while that's just not enough and you need something more, that itch just that won't go away, like a junkie you keep searching for something a little edgier, grittier so I dabbled with a bit off offroad then flattracking but still it just was'nt enough and then I got  hooked, I found the high I lusted for & it was Beach racing, not Weston Super mare once a year Moto cross style, not one off Welsh beach drag race style but pure hardcore week in, week out a regular fortnightly hit for nigh on six months of the  year going round and round in circles on Mablethorpe beach.

• Like 2

Pretty much anything goes in the roadbike classes, people have tried everything from MZ125's to Fireblades but the way the classes are split a venerable DR350 might struggle as it would be in the open class.

Several years ago In desperation to get back out there racing again I bodged, butchered and shoe-horned some MX wheels and knobbly tyres into my daily commuter SV650 and had a go on that, it was pretty good of the line, I was always in with a chance at getting the holeshot but the weight of the machine quickly overcame the responsiveness of the suspension on the rutted course, all too often the bucking & weaving ended up with me flat on my face in the sand.

The engine had the speed but the chassis would need some serious modification before I had any hope of picking up trophies

Edited by fastgs287
misspelling
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I've not been on her in a while, however, I am a mabo beach regular on a Suzuki 450 in the unlimited motocross class, I was 3rd in the championship last year. Are you still racing? I'll be there Sunday!

Edited by Brad
Typo
  • Like 2
  • 5 months later...