B-12(16)T

Chadillac

*Confirmed pistons are DIE CAST. Better than stock so they will be the ones going in! 

54 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Yeah stock pistons suck, crushed ring lands with a hint of real boost.

Ive got a question regarding busa rods, i measured everything up ages ago out of interest as I was advised to use a 2mm spacer plate.

I measured a busa rod against a bandit on, the distance from the bottom of the small end to the top of the big end was only 1mm different iirc, i figured that if I used a 1mm spacer that would make the c/r exactly the same as using stock b12 rods. And that c/r is about spot on.

So why do people recomend the 2mm spacer plate? Doesnt make sense to me

still wondering about this myself... what to do what to do..

2 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Yeah stock pistons suck, crushed ring lands with a hint of real boost.

Ive got a question regarding busa rods, i measured everything up ages ago out of interest as I was advised to use a 2mm spacer plate.

I measured a busa rod against a bandit on, the distance from the bottom of the small end to the top of the big end was only 1mm different iirc, i figured that if I used a 1mm spacer that would make the c/r exactly the same as using stock b12 rods. And that c/r is about spot on.

So why do people recomend the 2mm spacer plate? Doesnt make sense to me

Dont know but I used mk1 busa rods & pistons with 2mm spacer no base gaskets just the 2mm spacer. Pistons were 1/2mm down the bore, head had been flowed & had big inlet valves was possibly skimmed as well but still had 27ml combustion chamber area with 1mm cosmetic head gasket worked it out to be 7.95:1. When I first built the motor put the pistons in wrong way round did over a 100 miles then it was pointed out to me in my thread build so put them the right way round lol. As you know Rob it is making 260hp with 136lb torque with a good power curve & nearly 3000 miles on it this summer so shows this set up works.

5 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Dont know but I used mk1 busa rods & pistons with 2mm spacer no base gaskets just the 2mm spacer. Pistons were 1/2mm down the bore, head had been flowed & had big inlet valves was possibly skimmed as well but still had 27ml combustion chamber area with 1mm cosmetic head gasket worked it out to be 7.95:1. When I first built the motor put the pistons in wrong way round did over a 100 miles then it was pointed out to me in my thread build so put them the right way round lol. As you know Rob it is making 260hp with 136lb torque with a good power curve & nearly 3000 miles on it this summer so shows this set up works.

any notable difference running off-boost at that CR?

12 minutes ago, clivegto said:

@ChadillacYes I heard that as well all I am pointing out is this set up works. Bike is completely rideable throughout the rev range it can be rode as a touring bike or a supper bike. Good luck  with the build.

super touring bike?! That sounds fun! Haha Did you run OEM Busa Rings also? Sorry for all the questions but im interested in what you were running for piston to cylinder clearance and also ring gaps if your willing to share?

13 hours ago, Chadillac said:

super touring bike?! That sounds fun! Haha Did you run OEM Busa Rings also? Sorry for all the questions but im interested in what you were running for piston to cylinder clearance and also ring gaps if your willing to share?

Dont mind at all that is the hole basics of OSS. Yes used the rings that came with the pistons from memory top gap was 0.25mm 2nd down was 0.30mm think the piston clearance was 0.05. Ran the existing  shells in the crank as well but I did plastigauge them to see if they were ok. Full spec on this is b12 bottom including clutch but with a lock up clutch, 2mm base spacer, mk1 busa rods & pistons, b12 Rodger Upperton big inlet valvs flowed head, hardend rockers with gsx1100f cams, held together with APE studs & nuts, tdo4l turbo with b12 carbs set as near as dam it standard apart from 117.5 main jets. Gearing is 530 16/43 which is important to load the turbo.

Edited by clivegto
  • Like 3
On 10/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, clivegto said:

2mm base spacer has been ordered. You said you used a 1mm cometic head gasket, is that thicker than their standard 81mm? (#c8279)

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped off the MTC lock-up (spacer plate) for powder coat. Should be done in a few days. Haven't had a lot of time to work on the bike lately. Wife just gave birth yesterday to baby #2 so been plenty busy (Sitting in the hospital now typing this). Did sneak out to the garage one night last week with a 6pk to start tear down. Almost ready to drop the motor for re-bore. Also, ordered crankcase filter and fittings with a section of shiny stainless braided line so that's on its way. Got lucky with the manifold bolts as they all came out with a cordless impact and didn't strip or shear-off. Parts really starting to build up in the corner and lots of wires/parts labeled! More to come

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Started prepping the pistons last night for a little while. Using a green scotch brite pad to clean them up with. Takes a bit of elbow grease but I’m almost done with that. Got the lockup spacer back from my buddy before I had a chance to pull the last motor mounts so I put that together. Slowly but surely... Also, anyone ever ran their crank breather line/filter back along the frame and hide it under the tail fairing? Lots of room to hide it under there. (See last pic)

63B5AED4-D742-40AD-9608-7D714607670B.jpeg

36A9C54A-27D6-4CF4-ACAF-594ECEA80F89.jpeg

4555FF44-BF5E-4F2E-B6B4-498232C7986F.jpeg

554E635F-48A6-43B7-9D08-5ED5116C8F55.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Ohhh how plans change... I have been so busy working at the ski hill the last few months and getting my daughter settled in I haven't even looked at my bike. However, last week I was scouring the web for bits and pieces- and happened to come across a deal I could not pass up!!!  A guy in Michigan had posted "2 bandit 1200's for the price of 1". Sounded too good to be true....8 hours of driving later- I found myself staring at a mk1 bandit, with a massive swingarm by ADAMS, which also had a title and ran... The second bike was no bandit... It was a frankenbike... No title, for parts only- to fix up the other bandit he said. It looked like a chopped katana 600 frame, with a 750 motor swap, sitting on a 190 rear tire, and some funky rear shocks to make it look like a bobber?! I really don't know much about it, but $500 and they were both in the back of my truck! So now I have the extended swingarm I'll need, plus he threw in a spare head for the bandit, and a bunch of other shit! SCORE!!! So... since this happened last week- I have taken a few minutes to look them over- And think I have decided what to do with them. Turbo the mk1 bandit instead of my original mk2. It already has the swingarm I want, I can swap my lockup over to it, and throw the busa pistons & rods in it- since it leaks a bit and I have most of the parts for the rebuild anyways. Maybe even figure out how to fit that 190. Oh man like Christmas all over again! WEEEE!!!

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

So ordered new wheel bearings front and rear as the seals were crumbling to pieces. Chain and sprockets next since the bike was drag raced. Currently the rear sprocket is a 52 tooth... I have a brand new 15 tooth front I can use, but what would be recommended for the rear? I don't think a 52 tooth rear sprocket would appreciate a 1216 turbo bandit.. Should I drop it down to a 42? What's everyone else running on their 1216 turbos?