B-12(16)T

Chadillac

Chad here- Planning on upgrading the '03 bandit to a 1216cc turbo for street use. Want to run mainly 93 pump gas maybe a splash of 110 or 112 here and there with if possible?! Looking to start at 6-8 psi and up from there till I hit 200 hp give or take. I believe I'm 950ft above sea level here in Wisconsin...

Parts I have 

Gen 1 Busa pistons & rods - used 

New Rings / 81mm cometic head gasket

MTC stage 2 lock-up clutch

td04hl-16t OR td05-16g ( both in cart- can't decide!) :S

I've finally found a local place that is capable of boring and honing the cylinders to specs so here we go. Going to try to document the process as much as possible as well for your entertainment. Couple of questions before I pull the trigger...  Can anyone that has used gen 1 busa pistons AND rods in a bandit confirm their CR and with what thickness base spacer was used? OR maybe can someone with busa pistons on stock rods confirm CR? Also, what compression ratio should I try to achieve given my plans? This might determine whether I keep my stock rods and use the busa pistons OR use busa rods & pistons with a spacer.... Any information, thoughts, questions or concerns appreciated(y)

Thanks for the quick responses guys I appreciate it. Also makes sense about the chain- So next question. what would be better compression ratio for street use w/pump gas? 8 to 1 with spacer plate and busa rods or 9 to 1 with stock rods and busa pistons? Going to be running td04 max 1bar pressure 

IMO i'd prefer the higher CR as it aid's off boost running and can tolerate 1 bar of boost - problem is boost is addictive and you push it a little bit more and it goes tits up (potentially). Correct fueling helps as overly rich mixtures don't necessarily help cooling as much as people think - easy way of burning up turbine blades, dumping excess fuel into the turbine.

Edited by Gixer1460

Thank you that helps a lot. Still worth dry building to confirm or is this calculator the way to go?Also, am I correct in thinking that it is less work to keep the stock connecting rods anyways and just swap the piston itself on the pin so I don’t have to tear into the bottom end and buy more gaskets etc?

34 minutes ago, Askamaskinservice said:

How much beatin can it take unopened, ie how much boost.

If you don't max out torque below 5000 ish.

I’ve heard some people say 7 I’ve heard others say didn’t blow up till 15psi but that was stock pistons not forged. 8.5 -1 seems like a good number for 200hp sub 1 bar boost for now. Like I said it’s for street use not planning on improving 1/4 mile times chasing the boost

Edited by Chadillac
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to look at the pistons I got. They are out of a 1999 hayabusa. I was under the impression I needed to buy busa pistons because they are forged? The pistons I got seem to be cast... Can these be run with a turbo or did I screw up and buy the wrong pistons? 

Yeah stock pistons suck, crushed ring lands with a hint of real boost.

Ive got a question regarding busa rods, i measured everything up ages ago out of interest as I was advised to use a 2mm spacer plate.

I measured a busa rod against a bandit on, the distance from the bottom of the small end to the top of the big end was only 1mm different iirc, i figured that if I used a 1mm spacer that would make the c/r exactly the same as using stock b12 rods. And that c/r is about spot on.

So why do people recomend the 2mm spacer plate? Doesnt make sense to me

Edited by MeanBean49