Anybody ever use a K03 or K04?

I realize people have adapted just about everything at one time or another. I have been looking locally for a deal on either a TD04 or TD05 for my 1127. Then it occurred to me that I have a K03 on my Mk4 GTI that’s getting swapped out, so I will soon have an extra. 

Has anyone ever used one (VAG K03 or K04) on an OSS build? I am not finding anything in a search.

Cheers, Zweihammer 

I think @bruteforcehad K04 on his bike at some point. And possibly @Leblowskiwas using K03 on 750 years ago if I recall correctly.

On general level it's good to keep in mind that there are dozens of different variants on both turbo families and their specs can vary a lot. But if we are talking about the turbos that were used on 20 valve 1.8T VAG engines then situation is slightly simpler.

For K03 there are two main variants, "basic" and "sport". Can't remember exact numbers. They were used on 150hp and 180hp engines. Basic is good up to 180hp and sport maybe 200hp. IMO both are too small for 1100 engines except maybe for some low power/budget experiments. But even in that case consider carefully if it's worth of effort.

K04 turbos were used mainly on 210-230hp engine variants. The model numbers are K04-22 and K04-23 if I recall correctly. Both are capable for maybe 250-270hp. These should be ok for basic 1100 build. In addition there are also some smaller variants that are intended as bolt-on upgrade for K03 turbos. Model numbers are something like K04-11 and K04-15 (maybe). They are capable for slightly over 200hp.

As far as I know all models are prone to cracks on exhaust housing. So be careful if you are buying used one.

• Like 2

Thanks Arttu and Leblowski! That’s just the sort of feedback I was looking for. I wasn’t going to buy one, I had an extra off a 1.8t in my possession. Looking at it, it looks tiny.

Based on my reading, I am focusing on finding a TD04 or TD05 and keeping my options open. I had a coworker offer a TD05 off a Volvo. Looks like crap, though, so I passed.

Cheers, Zweihammer