Slabby Carb rubbers

bernardo

First, try heating the rubbers with a hair drier or, if you are very careful, a hot air gun. If that doesn't soften them enough to enable carb removal, wrap some rags round each rubber and pour boiling water into the rags and wait a couple of minutes for the rubbers to heat up. If that doesn't work, unscrew the rubbers from the head and remove with the carbs and repeat the process with the whole lot on a bench, which will make targeting heat and removal force more accurately. I would only trash the rubbers at the very last resort as they can cost a lot to replace, especially if you buy new ones.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, Dezza said:

If that doesn't work, unscrew the rubbers from the head and remove with the carbs and repeat the process 

Virtually impossible to get to all the screws with the carbs in place and / or at all  if in frame .......... yes - I have tried! Gentle heating generally works though and they can take some serious heat ie over 100 deg C

Edited by Gixer1460

After swearing for many hours removing and re-fitting the original airbox rubbers on my 750 slabby , and facing the likelihood the carbs would be off and on again whilst I fettled them I gave in and bought new ones, the speed and ease of fitting these made the cost worthwhile imo.

Edited by Macduff
On 9/17/2018 at 2:17 PM, bernardo said:

I think I will invest in a hot air gun just to get them off. I've heard about wintergreen, the yanks swear by it, but I'll probably buy new ones as @Macduff
says. (Ive been following his build and it's given me a few. Ideas)

I bought new ones, best money I ever spent aside from Dyna coils. No more hassle, so easy to work with