GSXR1000 K1-K3 clocks on an 1100 slabside/blandit 1200 mk1

Dezza

OK, I need to decide which clocks are going on my project bike. It will have to use a digital speedo. The machine will initally have a Blandit 1200 mk1 engine until I get round to building a decent 1100 slabside engine for it. I want to use a cable clutch conversion with the 600 Blandit sprocket cover that I have been informed will work on either of these motors. If I use the 600 mk2 cover with the integral speed sensor, would this work with early GSXR1000 digital clocks? If not I will I have to use an aftermarket digital speedo with a wheel sensor so I need to plan for this prior to having my rear brake carrier made. Cheers for any input:)

You can use an aftermarket speedo with the mk2 bandit speed sensor. I have my Koso like so on a mk2 1200. It's easy enough (and wheel sensors look ugly)

To calibrate it, just multiply your sprocket ratio by 4 pulses/wheel revolution (i.e. mine is 15/45 so 12 pulses/rev) (if you're using the bandit 4 way crennelated sensor nut/pickup thingy)

Edited by Magoo
further clarification
  • Like 1

Ok, that is good to know what I intended will work. I also did not know a Koso could be made to work with a sprocket sensor, although mounting a wheel sensor does not look ugly the way I do it, which is to have a bit of alloy tube welded into the rear disc carrier so the sensor is mounted a la Ducati 999/1098.

1 hour ago, Dezza said:

Ok, that is good to know what I intended will work. I also did not know a Koso could be made to work with a sprocket sensor, although mounting a wheel sensor does not look ugly the way I do it, which is to have a bit of alloy tube welded into the rear disc carrier so the sensor is mounted a la Ducati 999/1098.

It may need a speedo healer though unless youā€™re running the same gearing as the K2. Iā€™m running 17/44 and the speedo is wildly optimistic!xD

I've got early GSXR600 clocks on my Mk1 B12, If you get the clock sub loom and matching connectors it can just be a plug in job.

Has the Mk2 B6 case got both cable clutch and speedo pick up mount ?

If your output shaft isn't drilled ( and some report it hard to drill if it's not ) there are ways round mounting the tigger.

The speedo is not optimistic , it's just a very good tuning mod. Instant 10mph more top end.Ā :banana:Ā 

• Like 1

Going back to the original point... ahem... Dezza, have you bought the clocks already? If not, it's worthwhile pricing breakers demands for secondhand clocks against retail prices of aftermarket clocks - and you may be able to get an aftermarket clock with more functions, better aesthetics and easier mounting for a better price.

2 hours ago, zedhead said:

Going back to the original point... ahem... Dezza, have you bought the clocks already? If not, it's worthwhile pricing breakers demands for secondhand clocks against retail prices of aftermarket clocks - and you may be able to get an aftermarket clock with more functions, better aesthetics and easier mounting for a better price.

Yep, I have noticed this. GSXR1000 clocks secondhand fetch a fairly high price. I think I will go with a 600 teapot tacho I have (10 quid from autojumble, really nice simple design, correct scale for an older 1100 engine) and a seperate Koso speedo/idiot light cluster (about 80 quid new). I can make my own neoprene foam surround for the tacho and it's oldskool gauge heaven:).

• Like 1