Turbo placement.

Mark

Hi guys.

Didnt want to bring my build thread off track, so a new thread.

What difference does it make with the position of the turbo unit? On a blow through set up, traditionally  the unit is always positioned behind the front wheel. As close to the engine as possible. 

I came across these pics. NOT MINE, JUST GOOGLE...

The turbo is in a more remote position. How would this affect things? Im thinking heat.. any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Swirl said:

No technical info here, but I wouldn't want to hide it, big and brash and hanging out for all of the world to admire

Yeah, Agree.

I was thinking underseat pipework would work well. Turbo on show up high in the seat unit, oil drain would work great. Headers would be easier, standard 4-1 with fab work on one pipe. 

I think it helps having the turbo as close as possible to the exhaust ports because the further away from them the exhaust gas travels the colder it gets and the less velocity/pressure it has. Which means at the same rpm the turbo will not spin as fast, so you get less boost/less efficiency.

Will still work just not as well as close to the ports

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sketch424 said:

Maybe having a compound turbo setup would solve the possible low efficiency of turbo, also exhaust wrap is meant to keep the heat in the pipes a bit better isnt it?

Why would putting two turbos away from their energy source help? You end up with 2 having crap efficiency rather than 1!

1 hour ago, Sketch424 said:

Well, one of the turbos in a compoind freds the other, so the drop in efficiency may not be as pronounced as if there were a single turbo setup.

It doesn't work like that - 1st turbo running at 50% efficiency feeds half potential boost to 2nd turbo running at 50% and you still only get half potential boost out! It really is better to use one correctly sized and located turbo for max efficiency and minimal losses!

Compound done correct way...................

Compound.jpg

And it ends up looking like this......... And no, picture nazis, that is NOT a Yam engine LOL!

2013-07-17-12.52.22-1024x768.jpg

• Like 1

I've built my first TurboGS back in 2005. As there were no real turbobikes around to compare notes with, I came up with a style that fell in the middle of drawthrough-blowthrough and was inspired by the *cough* Yami turbo design. Turbo under the seat, original headers, relatively easy plumbing.

Benefits: Turbo can gravity drain (no pump or oil pickup return mods), no expensive header welding (just a linkpipe), looks brutal (IMHO), clearly audible HISSS from under the seat, proper fast!

Downsides: Presumably the exhaust gases can cool down along the way thus reducing power. Solution: Heatwrap. Other than that it could give a little more lag because of the longer header pipes but I couldn't care. Made 210rwhp/216Nm on an 1166cc aircooled motor.

Should have kept it *sigh*...

Pict0020.jpg

Pict0021.jpg

Edited by bruteforce
  • Like 6
On 9/3/2018 at 9:53 AM, bruteforce said:

I've built my first TurboGS back in 2005. As there were no real turbobikes around to compare notes with, I came up with a style that fell in the middle of drawthrough-blowthrough and was inspired by the *cough* Yami turbo design. Turbo under the seat, original headers, relatively easy plumbing.

Benefits: Turbo can gravity drain (no pump or oil pickup return mods), no expensive header welding (just a linkpipe), looks brutal (IMHO), clearly audible HISSS from under the seat, proper fast!

Downsides: Presumably the exhaust gases can cool down along the way thus reducing power. Solution: Heatwrap. Other than that it could give a little more lag because of the longer header pipes but I couldn't care. Made 210rwhp/216Nm on an 1166cc aircooled motor.

Should have kept it *sigh*...

Pict0020.jpg

Pict0021.jpg

Thanks for the input and pictures, that is exactly the layout i had in mind!