snapped chain problems

richyrich

doh, it lunched; the front sprocket cover; one of the carrier bolts ; and whacked me on the back O.o i couldnt figure out what was going on lol

For me this is not a straightforward replacement, id normally ride it to a garage so they can do the chain rivet proper but now im stuck at home with it.   its a b12 wheel and swingarm , 750L motor in gs550 frame.  it needs to be a 520.  I found a rear sprocket that might work :

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/bj-jtr-1825x48 , its listed as common part for gsxr1100 and dr750/850, 

but google cant find me a 750L 520 front sprocket, anyone seen one ?  

and how do i figure the chain length,  Does anyone know roughly how many links a 520 chain in a b12 would be ? That shouldnt be far off.    If i get a master link to join it, my only problem is getting the old front sprocket off without an air tool  (or the old chain i left in the recovery van) how the hell do i brace it ?

10012052.jpg

Edited by richyrich
info

If you can borrow an old 5/8 chain that is long enough, first fit the new rear sprocket. Then loop the chain round both sprockets, put the bike in gear and get someone to stand on the rear brake so you can loosen the drive sprocket nut. An electric rattle gun makes this easy or you'll have to swing on a breaker bar. You can always use the new chain if you don't have an old one to hand. Just make sure the joining gap is half way round the rear sprocket before loosening the nut on the output shaft.

thanks for the help guys.  The stilson was too bulky, i used an old pipe wrench with a axle stand stuck on the end to extend it under the frame and jam it in there. I put an extension on the socket and supported it on the other axle stand. Then i stood on the torque wrench and  carefullly hopped up and down on it .  After a while i got bored and went out looking for a scaffold bar, wandered around wih that for a while getting funny loks, then tried the hopping again with that on the end.  Eventually i pushed the bike a mile uphill (ffs) to the local car garage and they attcked it with a air gun thingy.  after that catapulted the screwdriver they braced the cog with accross the room , they used a blowlamp. after that the impact gun undid it straight up.  Then i coasted it home, downhill see, through the park.

Now the new lower gear really shows up the poor fueling and theres more work to do where there was none before, again.

Credit to gsxr884 for finding loads of 520 sprocket options for me and next day delivery at an unbeatable price

Edited by richyrich
  • Like 1

I'd be a bit concerned about what the blowlamp heat might have done to the output shaft oil seal.  It would be a tad annoying to put it all together, tighten on a new sprocket, then find you have to go up the hill again to get the nut off again to replace the seal.  Cheap and easy job to change now if you have the slightest doubts.