Rs38 flat sides vs standard 1200 mk1 carbs

Alex

Hi. Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of rs38 flatsides for road use over standard. I will be putting on a skimed/ported/Kent reground cams head I have a 4-2-1 acrapovic / 5deg advanced ignition. These rs38's seem a lot of money but are they really worth it for road use? 

Just swapped from rs38’s To 36mm cv’s and modded airbox on my 1216 bandit and i’m Really enjoying the smoothness of the cv’s . As a road engine the cv’s are nicer to use but I do miss certain elements of the flatties , namely to accelerator pump delivery. Someone has suggested 38mm cv’s as they have a similar set up 

ref: carb size - had this discussion with racers / tuners - new school and old school and i'm dam't if I can nail down an agreed consensus of opinion based on result - summary is - especially as you've gone to effort of porting and cams - you'll likely be chasing rpm = new school response - go as big as you dare ( use your inlet port entry size as a guide )

old school will tell you go the opposite = as small as you only need to go, it will be more efficient at part throttle, easier to tune ( or read as more forgiving if they are not right on tune ) - ok so no answer for you ¬¬ my own experience ( was old school) is modern flatslide smoothbores are mucho better at partial fueling these days - i.e. go big

CV versus directlift smooth bore - if its performance then 100% the smoothbore pumper - maybe not if you only look at the top HP but the initial punch / drive / throttle response - no competition ( and you can gain on mpg as an added bonus )

if its good performance with a smoother lazier pick up, lighter throttle etc.. i.e. the stuff that makes mile crunching on the road more pleasant = go CV