GS1100E Suspension upgrade

This is my first post as I'm a new member and still just trying to learn and figure out this forum.

My project bike is a 1983 GS1100E, and I want to up grade the front end, brakes, and wheels. I would like to run a GSXR inverted front fork set up with radial brakes if possible. In wondering what year of front end will work and what would be the best triple trees to install. As wel will I need to change out the swing arm  in order to use a later year wheel and tire combination.

I'm sure these questions have been asked many times so if you just direct me to former posts that would be very helpful. 

Thank you in advance . 

Bytown Bandit  

Edited by BytownBandit
  • Like 3

Welcome! Great choice of bike to start with!

I have both an ‘82 with a K7 GSXR 600/750 fork set ( longest K series, I believe, and has the radials you mentioned), as well as an ‘83 with a ‘98 TL1000S ( longer than the R or ‘Busa). I  put both in with All Balls bearings and modded stops. 

I have been riding the ‘83 with the TL forks for a couple years now, love it over what I replaced. It lowered the bike to the point I had to modify the kickstand. The numbers are nice, not as lazy as the original GS, not as twitchy steep as a modern GSXR. I put a Scotts damper on for piece of mind.

I know some earlier GSXR USD forks slot right in, though I wanted 17s.

There are a lot of great builds on here, you’ll never want for inspiration.

Cheers, Zweihammer 

Edited by Zweihammer
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...