Turbo project continues...

Mark

Hi guys.

I took a while off this project. I did have a build thread on the old site, but list to the depths of the web now.

Moved house, lots of renovating to do, young kids and picked up a nasty life changing injury so the bike (well.. pile of bike bits) was sat in mi old mans garage for a good 4/5 yrs...

Dusted it off quite a while ago, but quite daunting coming back to a turbo project. Lost where i was with it all and with the chassis/fighter mods i was on with.. thought maybe go back N/A to simple the rebuild, but i have already fitted busa slugs in my block.. comtemplated selling as a project and buying something else, but done lots of reading to catch back up and went through my bits and i dont need much else so ploughing on..

Anyways blurb over, 

The bike is a B12 mk1. It was a 7/12 project, but i have got rid of the 750L frame for a couple of reasons.

1) Makes life easier, building a modded/turbo'd bandit than basicly a ground up bike squeezeing into the smaller frame, wjile afding the extra turbo stuff.

2) the riding position on the B12 will be much more comfy on my injured shoulder than the say what now!?

3) budgetts limited and i like to do the bits myself, im fancying quite a bit of frame modding than i can handle on a steel frame, but i need to rethink or farm all this out on the alloy frame..

Ok blurb seriously over.

I have a little bit more chassis work before diving in completly with the turbo side, but as a start of my brain picking.

Do i need a pingle fuel tap, or will the standard B12 tap be sufficient.

My headers are a big hurdle at this point. The turbo is a TD04HL-15G. It has an internal wastegate. Are these any good to use, or should i seal it and fit an external? 

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for any and all help.

19 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

re Blandit tap - is it vacuum operated? If so then it'll turn itself off when you get boost!............probably won't flow enough either!

An external gate will give better control but mine still has an internal gate @ 370hp.............just saying like! LOL!

Thanks for the help.

Im pretty sure the mk1's are not vaccum operated. But was concerned about flow rates.. i may look at an inline option. Not happy about paying the pingel prices..

I aint chasing 370hp so the internal will probably be ok.. if an external pops up at a good price maybe... im hoping for 250hp ish

Not much to show pic wise yet, got the lump back into the bandit frame late last night, so hopefully progress will start building momentum..

This is where i was more or less with the say what now!? project, the plan is to transplant all the running gear over to the B12, i am tempted to stick a 240 or 280 rear on while im at it, so going to measure up and look at my options there while playing.. 

And i have accumulated quite a lot of bits to be playing with so plenty to be getting on with.

20180711_155013.jpg

20180711_155026.jpg

Edited by Mark
Spelling

Alittle progress today.

I started building back up what i have left of my doner bandit. Will have to strip it again for finishing, and some bits will need redoing. It felt good to reconnect with the bike though.

Abit daunting looking at boxes and boxes of bits and no start. But it went alot smother than it could have!

Front end mocked up.

Still got the say what now!? stem in, need to source a B12 yoke and get stems swopped. 

Gives a good idea of position of things though. Mocked up turbo position and things in relation (no pic ... it was a 2 handed job to offer up...lol..)

20180818_193449.jpg

20180818_193456.jpg

• Like 1

I meant the vacuum hose to the fuel tap, and blank off the other end at the carb. Don't rely on stock blank off nipples because they will fly off with boost, use somekind of a clamp over them. Also use rubber mounts/dampeners from stock oil cooler to fit the new one, it wants to move with changing temps. My cooler sits very close to the frame, to give R1 forks room for full lock.

0110836979bf407.jpg

36270172_1729959230406232_3373281930052108288_n.jpg

Edited by CossiEst
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Got to ask - if tight for space at top why not use bottom feeds - cheaper fittings as well!

Definetly an option. I do already have some suitable fittings for the top feed, i think i can squeeze it in. I always like a plan B though!

2 hours ago, B12Mick said:

Going to follow this with interest as collecting bits for my own Mk 2 B12 turbo build.

What forks are you running,  GSXR 750 K6/7  ? Just picked some slingshot forks up for mine 

As said above gsxr 100 K1/2 forks mate, in 750L slingshot yokes. The only reason for this combo is they are a straight fitment into the standard yokes on the slingy and everything has been moved across from that project.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MeanBean49 said:

Nice project,

Personally i would ditch the supposed cam feeds, they dont do a thing at all, and may actually lower the oil pressure to the crank and cams, particularly at low revs or when motor is cold.

Thanks. 

Yeah, to be honest the cam links are just sentimental really... 

I just like how they look and they was my first play around making my own braided lines...

7 hours ago, Mark said:

Thanks. 

Yeah, to be honest the cam links are just sentimental really... 

I just like how they look and they was my first play around making my own braided lines...

Chances are theres enough spare capacitiy in the high pressure oil system to cope with them and it will never be a problem.

I just think your probably going to be asking more of the system when you put a turbo oil feed in. Theres no point in asking even more for no reason.

People dont seem to realise those links actually just increase the flow into the rocker cover not from the cover to the cams.