Turbo project continues...

Mark

Not going to get into the 'do they / don't they' debate - but will state a GSXR will not notice the addition of a turbo oil feed - the pump bleeds off between 25-50% of its pumped pressure and flow so a turbo feed is insignificant! Putting more oil into the head cam space isn't necessarily a bad thing with an oil cooled engine IMO!

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Not going to get into the 'do they / don't they' debate - but will state a GSXR will not notice the addition of a turbo oil feed - the pump bleeds off between 25-50% of its pumped pressure and flow so a turbo feed is insignificant! Putting more oil into the head cam space isn't necessarily a bad thing with an oil cooled engine IMO!

Getting more oil in isnt a problem, its just whether its at the cost of the supply/pressure of the oil fed to the crank and cams, your effectively opening a low resistance path in the high pressure oil system. Doesnt take much especially at low revs, and cold engine for the spare 25-30% pump capacity to be gone.

Id take a slightly warmer head over starved crank and cams any day.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Not had much tine to spend on this at the moment, but been planning other bits and sourcing some parts. Turbo headers are giving me a proper headache....

Trying to juggle both turbo abd chassis work is also a pain..

Question though. What sprocket gearing is  favoured with a turbo?

Reason i ask is, i am trying to finish the frame mods and wanting to offset the front sprocket. But making my own offset sprocket means i need to commit to a sprocket early, and cannot just swop n change it later.

Im thinking 14t to improve accelaration off boost. But not sure if i should stick with 15t so standard front and tweak ratios just using the rear sprocket.

Edited by Mark

34 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Ha Ha Ha - 14T and a turbo ! Most fit a 17 as it's about as big as will squeeze in without catching on engine / cover / clutch push rod and a 40 out back and smaller! Low end acceleration is not an issue - traction usually is!

Haha... exactly why i thought i would ask.. i wasnt sure if go larger to compensate for the boost. But wont a 17t mess up off boost acceleration?

Bigger would be better for me as it gives less strain on the offset.

• 1 month later...

Then hacked the subframe off, its about that time you wonder if the voices in your head should have been listened too... or your wife....

Excuse some of the welding, been a while since i have done any and it took a few runs to find a feel again. But im happy to grind what needs tidying.

20181102_192100.jpg

20181102_192047.jpg

• Like 2

Steel subbie so got that all glued together.

Back home now, still abit of tidying on the welds and the odd hole still to close up, but thry was getting busy so i got out of there way. 

I was going to concentrate on the frame and get it back in, but i thought i would get on with things as i have lots to sort, and will want to alter the frame again for brackets and things.

20181123_171249.jpg

20181123_171241.jpg

• Like 1

So thats as we stand, hopevully will get it moved abit more this weekend.

I need to fab up some rear suspension mounts. But i need to get a wheel sorted to fine tune their position. I have a tyre i have offered up, very happy with how it centres, but obviously not as accurate as having a wheel.

Got a new front end going in, but hoping to keep my triumph wheel so that requires some more head scratching.

Fitted a GSXR clutch with lock up, engines back in so hopefully i can move on to some turbo work!!

2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Intriguing project but I can't immediately see how the frame mods will help with chain run and car wheel / tyre use  - watching with interest though! Just out of interest - car tyre in preference to a super wide bike tyre ....... reasoning?

8.5" Car rim, 240mm bike tyre. 

Going to have to offset the front sprocket, looking at an outrigger set up with a bearing to support the extended front sprocket set up. I have a plan, but its to scratch my head on at a later date to implement...

yikes...….now that's an interesting way to widen a frame …… not my method of choice but hey....to each his own I guess . I can see you will have a few issues with that sssa choice ……..moving the entire swingarm assembly to the left will not  get you sorted for a 8.500" rim alone....... your chain run and tire clearance .....then there is the rim to inner arm clearance ....there is just not enough room on that arm  to accommodate that rim size/tire combo…...then....add the front / rear wheel alignment to the party .  I have a few suggestions for ya ........offset wheel spacer with 2 independent bolt patterns , 1 for the spacer to  hub and 1 for the wheel to spacer ...... just using  extra long studs could get you in trouble . this will net you some wheel to inner arm clearance . get your wheels as close as possible to alignment then work on the chain run / offset sprocket with bearing support cover ....... there are some good heads on this forum and I am sure you can get you sorted .......

20181102_162418.thumb.jpg.64553a82af63d8edd3f18b86315dc6e8.jpg

20181102_162405.thumb.jpg.548d24fef93eead57ae5e970a0a2b6b1.jpg

Thanks for the input.

Chain run isnt a problem as its fixed in relation to the arm, and that inturn has remained the same to the new frame cradle as it was to the old, will have to chop abit more accuratly around the pivot for clearence, but thats why i havent welded upto it.

Leaving this till the front sprocket comes into play.

Centreing the tyre with left side lined up to left side of the existing wheel retains the clearence to arm, and lines up really well with the front wheel (only by eye at this point). Also a string line from the head stock looks good to this position also. But everything needs to be more rigid to finalise.

So with a wheel in place, im planning to fit longer studs and a spacer plate to deal with ssa to tyre clearence. While playing with wheel allignment. 

Probably use a stack of washers to decide on spacer thickness and play with my options. Then make up swingarm spacers to suit. Sort shock mountings to suit which will be offset more thsn i would like, but i can live with that. 

Then front sprocket.

Appreciate any input. I will get some pics up to show allignment better, i was thinking of starting a project thread and keeping this on track for turbo advice. 

3 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

It looks bloody small - maybe even a T2? Possibly off a diesel with the small dia. turbine?

Thats my concern, its much smaller than my td04. Any markings i should be looking for to id it? Which would be preference?

Am i right in thinking the smaller would spool up early and quicker but less power?