Hello & advice on GSXR1100/750M

Meerkat

Good afternoon all,

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle....and if you cant be gentle please make it amusing :-)

I'm soon to be the proud owner of a 1992 GSXR1100M albeit it is in a rather sorry state and requires a lot of TLC to get it back to its former glory.

But, I've never been afraid of a bit of elbow grease and scuffed knuckles hence taking the challenge on.

There's lots to do but before I submerge myself in a full restoration (bikes to keep by the way not 'do up and sell on again' as I have always wanted one) I wonder if the collective would be kind enough to answer a few questions regarding potentially making it into a 7/11 rather than keep it stock ? :-

1) Would the 1100 tank and seat unit fit a 750M model frame ? If not what mods would be required ?

2) What mods are required to fit a M model 11 engine into an M model 750 frame ? I understand the rear engine mount will need modifying but unsure on anything else ?

3) Are there any other issues in doing this swap ? (electronics, fuel taps and lines etc)

There will likely be plenty more to ask but for now that seems a reasonable start.

I'm torn with the option of keeping it as an 11 or doing a 7/11. My head tells me keep it 'as is' but my heart says 'why the hell not'!!!! If its fairly straight forward and I may go the 7/11 route but if it means far too much messing I will just restore it.....because I don't want to delay riding it for too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all in advance of any help and advice it will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

:-) 

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, much appreciated.

Given (I believe) the frames are very similar (albeit the 1100 was stronger apparently) and the main difference was a shorter swingarm and forks I have decided to stay as an 11 frame with the possibility of using a 750WN/WP swingarm and dropping the forks slightly.

Will keep you posted....or may be asking plenty more questions!!!!!

Cheers

2 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

I agree when std exhaust & carbs running, but my old one used to freely rev all the way up.

DSC00260.JPG

Hi Cockney Rick. A question on your old one (which by the way looks superb...always liked that colour)....what tyres were you running ? The rear looks huge!

7 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

It's not, just the std 180 on it. Can't remember make as it was 14 years ago, but i'd guess either Pirelli or Dunlop as they were my prefered choice ;) 

That would make sence. Unlike some other tyre brands that short change us punters, Dunlop (& Pirelli to an extent) always seem to have 'more rubber for your buck' with tyres 'big' for their size. I've had tyres fro  other brands that have been well under size (even when they are supposed to be same size!). Cheers

6 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

Im pretty sure theres no point doing a 7/11 with a slingshot frame unless its a 750 J frame (short stroke) they are all the same dimensions. The J is a bit smaller and has slightly different geometry.

Keep it 1100 and do a nice job if it imho.

Welcome btw

Agreed (now!). I've come to the conclusion that 'if' I do want to go down the route of a 7/11 style all I need to do is drop the forks through the yokes and fit a 750 swingarm as this would result in almost correct geometry to a 750 dimensions. Admittedly the 1100 frame is apparently 3 kgs heavier than the equivelent 750 but then in its defnece its beefed up to cope with the extra weight and grunt of the motor.

And ultimately......a 7/11 geometry only really benfits a rider who can ride a bike to its absolute limits round a track....and people....I am not one of these immortals!

:-)

21 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

That would make sence. Unlike some other tyre brands that short change us punters, Dunlop (& Pirelli to an extent) always seem to have 'more rubber for your buck' with tyres 'big' for their size. I've had tyres fro  other brands that have been well under size (even when they are supposed to be same size!). Cheers

Not really, the reason i prefer Pirelli & Dunlop is because they err on the narrower of the 180 & therfore on most of my assemblies makes chain run & fitment easier ;) 

49 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

Not really, the reason i prefer Pirelli & Dunlop is because they err on the narrower of the 180 & therfore on most of my assemblies makes chain run & fitment easier ;) 

Hmmmm. We seem to agree to dissagree. I had a MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 on a 5.5" rim recntly that measured 178mm across and when I fitted a DUNLOP Sportsmart 2 Max it measured 187mm with the very same manual vernier guage. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Strip down is in progress. The usual things have reared their ugly heads.

Both seat panels have lugs missing in various places. They can be fixed. Anyone out there with advice on this ? Or any spare panels out there ?

Another ball ache is the rear shock is....how can I put this politely....F##ked!!!

I'm reading so many different things about swapping for later model SUZUKI rear shocks such as BUSA's and GSXR1000's. Again any advice on this or links to previous threads would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike