Before I get the angle grinder out

bernardo

I'm finally stripping my slabby down (after 18 years), but before I cut the chain off are there any nuts I should undo first (like the front sprocket nut) say on the clutch or crankshaft?

Also the carb rubbers are harder than hell, should I just cut the inlet rubbers off to allow me to get the carbs off or are they hard to get or expensive?

thanks

Bernard

Sprocket nut is a good one if chain is present - not impossible without just a pain!

Inlets are obtainable new but a bit spendy. Long & low temp cooking in oil / glycerin can sometimes bring them back to life.

Lots of penetrating fluid over all the mount bolts / nuts / studs - if it has a fastener - then drench it! 

7 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

Buy a stainless rivnut kit (spelling might be wrong).. These carry the threads in the frame that corode and dissappear. Really easy to replace with a decent tool (Eblag)

New carb rubbers will change your life i promise you

Stick to Alloy rivnuts, to avoid galvanic corrosion.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Yea but the corrosion is between the Ally hole & the outer face of the rivnut.

Seeing as that will be a permanent fit (and the inner thread is safe) i doubt it's any sort of issue i've ever encountered ;) 

Are you saying im ok with my stainless rivnuts? If you are i will blow you a really big kiss ! 

Well i.might not but i will be very very happy 

On 8/9/2018 at 5:33 PM, bernardo said:

I'm finally stripping my slabby down (after 18 years), but before I cut the chain off are there any nuts I should undo first (like the front sprocket nut) say on the clutch or crankshaft?

Also the carb rubbers are harder than hell, should I just cut the inlet rubbers off to allow me to get the carbs off or are they hard to get or expensive?

thanks

Bernard

Rubbers are expensive as fuck