New member with a Kat

9 hours ago, Mak595 said:

Hey guys, picked up this 750 Kat thats been stood to ages, just deciding what to do with it, restore back to standard (ish) or build something a bit better, funds allowing !

Katana.jpg

Welcome. Low cost option is to buy a gsx1100 power screen(whole bike) and swap engine and running gear straight in....

I expect including the purchase of the power screen bike this could be done for sub £1k....

Edited by R1guy
  • Like 2

Welcome. Get stuck in and make it perform and handle better by robbing bits from from more modern machinery. All the important bits are there.  There are lots of very cool Kats in the project section for inspiration.

My own half arsed efforts can be found here.

I started out in pretty much the same place as you are now but did what I could when I could. 

Thanks guys, think I'm gonna go with a bandit rear wheel but the bike came with a 3 spoke 4.5" rear, I assume 600 bandit maybe, can a 170 go on that size rim?

not sure about front end yet...

The frame needs painting so might as well brace it first

1 hour ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

Welcome. Get stuck in and make it perform and handle better by robbing bits from from more modern machinery. All the important bits are there.  There are lots of very cool Kats in the project section for inspiration.

My own half arsed efforts can be found here.

I started out in pretty much the same place as you are now but did what I could when I could. 

Brilliant thread, just read it all (y)

16 minutes ago, wraith said:

Welcome to OSS (y)

I was in the same place as you with my kat (same 750) but with no brakes and gaskets leaking all over the place but this is how it looks now,

IMG_20180527_143504.thumb.jpg.5e35fa950889b9f07f5f0115b3297e0b.jpg

IMG_20180527_143624.thumb.jpg.42493d2aad8f88528866aa847f914dc9.jpg

Just to get you thinking :D

Build thread is on the old site tho.

Nice but I've decided I want to stay twin shock, the bike has progressive suspension units on now so gonna stick with them.

Is it a bandit 12 motor?

Edited by Mak595
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, gsx1100e said:

Wellcome to OSS. 

I would drive it for some time and deside what to do whit it after that.

is on that red linght sift linght or oil pressure?

Its the 55mph warning light cos it's a jap import,  the bike isn't road worthy really as its been stood for about 15 years !! I could service the forks and put new tyres on etc but no point if I'm gonna swop stuff about...

Amazingly the tank is like brand new inside

2 hours ago, Mak595 said:

Nice but I've decided I want to stay twin shock, the bike has progressive suspension units on now so gonna stick with them.

Is it a bandit 12 motor?

Can't fault you with that one ;)

It's a gsx1100f power screen motor, with gsxr 38mm carbs etc etc xD

19 hours ago, Mak595 said:

Hey guys, picked up this 750 Kat thats been stood to ages, just deciding what to do with it, restore back to standard (ish) or build something a bit better, funds allowing !

Katana.jpg

mmmhhh a rare s2 version :vu:

but yeah me like them tuned versions too !!!

sooooo..............get another one and keep that one original ;)

and welcome