Cylinder head gasket sealant

Jonny

Hi there,

I am rebuilding the top end of my GSX1230 engine. It currently has a cometic gasket that most people on 'tinterweb say is reusable.

Most of the comments I have read say they go on dry when new but when reusing should be sprayed with 'Copper coat' sealant, as the sealant coating comes off.

This seems to be an American product. What do you guys in the UK use?

Thanks,

Jon

Cometic makes also MLS gaskets for the GSX.

Copper gaskets are definitely re-usable. Officially MLS gaskets shouldn't be re-used but I know that people are doing that a lot with good success. Graphite / fiber gaskets definitely aren't re-usable.

I haven't personally tried re-using a MLS gasket, yet. I think it would be a good idea to use some kind sealant in that case and copper spray sealants seem to be a popular choice. VHT is one popular choice but like you said it's difficult to get in Europe. Permatex makes similar product (Copper Spray-A-Gasket) that has been used succesfully as well. Should be much easier to source.

I reused non copper cometic headgaskets more then once on boosted engines

I always clean em up and give them a thin layer of copper spray. Just dont go mad with spraying to thick.

untill today i never had re used a headgasket that failed.

Edited by Leblowski
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, arnout said:

What kind of Cometic (head?) gasket are you using? Cometic sell a multitude of types but for the GS(X)1100 engine I believe they only offer a copper and graphite version.

Its the MLS gasket. You can get them new for about £45. The copper versions seem to be about £60 but I haven't seen them in 77mm size.

4 hours ago, Arttu said:

Permatex makes similar product (Copper Spray-A-Gasket) that has been used succesfully as well. Should be much easier to source.

Thanks Arttu. I saw that online when searching but wasn't sure if it was the right stuff. I might give it a go.