Running in Wiesco pistons..... Opinions please

So I'm close to re assembling my gs1000 engine with new 1085 Wiesco pistons. 

There seems to be various opinions on how to run them in, some say gently, some say just ride normally but don't thrash it, some say 500 miles, some say 1000.

The guy who did my ref bore said don't run it in too gently because Wiesco pistons are known to glaze if run in too slow. 

Opinions and experiences please. 

I've always run mine in like a normal road bike, but over a shorter period - maybe 200 miles?

Start off gentle, build up when it feels like its ready. Make sure you're pushing it a bit further every time you ride it till when it's ready give it WFO a few times. Plenty of up and down the years, don't cruise.

Then change the oil.

Always had good compression, long life and have stripped and rebuilt engines with Wiseco kits run in like that and they look good and are in spec.

Edited by gs7_11
2 hours ago, Duckndive said:

I read someware Roger had posted "may have been faceache"

Assemble the pistons into "DRY" bore and by the time you have dialled in the cams the rings will be seated......

Works for me...:tu

Oooooh - that takes a leap of faith ! Mind you a lot of Roger's engines get run in after less than 8 seconds LOL!

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Oooooh - that takes a leap of faith ! Mind you a lot of Roger's engines get run in after less than 8 seconds LOL!

The theory is that new rings on a dry bore will bed in a few rotations of the engine....

Mate of mine used to build Ford V8 F one engines why back when and they went straight on Dyno at 8K   

19 minutes ago, gs7_11 said:

Rings ok. What does it do to the bores? :)

The Bore should be a honed "to size" finish....the correctly gapped rings on the pistons do the sealing once matched to the bore...

Sorry I don't buy the running it in gently plot......and never had a problem....

What I did with my Gs1085 was "Roger told me "to do ride it for 50ish miles check for no leaks re torque head down and ride like you normally do since I fitted oil cooler it never used a drop of oil I just have a big bore kit basically stock cams

Edited by gshub
22 hours ago, Duckndive said:

The Bore should be a honed "to size" finish....the correctly gapped rings on the pistons do the sealing once matched to the bore...

Sorry I don't buy the running it in gently plot......and never had a problem....

I didn't mean gently overall, sorry if that came across that way.

The debate on this is interesting, and I also don't think you should take 1000 miles to run a bike in. However I don't fully accept the arguments often put forward on the other side either, particularly with regard to older stuff. The claims don't hold up under scrutiny IMO.

I ran mine in,albeit MTC pistons,for around 300 miles.No thrashing/red lining/uphill in high gears etc,just rode it sensibly,on cheapo mineral oil...however,it did burn a little oil on start up so I was worried I had been too careful but a weekend giving it the beans last year at Donington 'completed' the process and now all is good in the hood.

• Like 1