Engine , retain or change

Hi guys, my project Kat came with an engine with the barrels and head removed. The camshafts and followers look pretty worn and I have no idea if the bottom end is good. Question is do I through money at the original lump and hope the bottom end is ok, do I do a full strip and rebuild or do I put something like a bandit 12 motor in it. It’s going to be a resto mod so originality isn’t important but I do love the look ok the old lump.

Money wise toting it up in my head a bandit motor with a known history is the cheapest option or do I bite the bullet and rebuild the old girl. Any advise would be appreciated 

My curiosity wouldn't allow me not to strip the bottom end to check its condition! Having said that, there's many will say, 'Keep the original motor' and many will advise fitting the B12. Both options have pluses! At the end of the day, it's really up to you. What you want to do! Aircooled motor weighs a ton, but is original and fills the frame nicely, Oilcooled a lot lighter/newer, but doesn't look quite at home! Your choice. And pictures ... We need  pictures!

• Like 1

maybe there's not a question here

Fitting the bandit motor gets you going  - loads of fun - no major headache work to fit and in the future you have the option of selling on the motor

the original can aquire dust on the well preserved lubricated parts - or as time and funds allow, progress to something interesting 

maybe there is a question - are you typically a  long or short term owner

• Like 1

As a owner of a Kat with a oil cooled 1127 motor in it (when I got it it had the standard gsx750s1 motor in it) the oil cooled motors is a lot of fun and dose look good, but a well tuned gsx1100 motor do look the part and can have a lot of grunt ;) 1260 big bore, head job, cams, carbs etc

I did the conversion because it had the 750 motor not the 1100, the oil cooled motor may end up cheeper, but you will also need carbs, zorst, cdi, oil cooler etc etc.

IMG_20180527_143624.thumb.jpg.345d549182275f329ff829a5001cbf11.jpg

Edited by wraith
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Cheers @wraith, i have a set of RS38's waiting and as i am in the trade i have a few exhausts that would work. CDI , oil cooler will have to go on my shopping list. Nice Kat by the way :)

I reckon the way Ash did it would be the cheapest route, buy a complete B12, break the bike and sell of what you don't want.