Gs1000 big bore....... What's best ?

Can't comment on the others, but I've had mixed experience with Wiseco 1085 kits.

On one hand, I've got a kit in my 7/11 which has been in for years and 25,000 miles (at a guess) and is still tight, pulls well, burns no oil.

Another kit I had, I found a circlip had receded into its groove, allowing the gudgeon pin to come out and damage the bore. After some toing and froing, Wiseco gave me a new kit at cost price for that.

Edited by gs7_11
  • Like 2
On 19-5-2018 at 4:08 AM, wraith said:

+1 on that,

I had a 1100cc kit in one of my gs1000, had now problems with it, lots of happy riding, but had a 1148cc kit (using gpz 1170 kit) and the same thing circlip came out and fu#ked a bore.

Not tried a MTC kit.

I had the same problem! 

Apparently you need to renew the clips every time you take them out..

2 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Yes, you MUST replace with new the clips after you have removed them ;) the Wiseco kits come with there owen new clips, but I think they are/where a bit week :| ended up putting OEM clips in.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

I had the same problem! 

Of course you do, but in my case the clips stayed fitted fine, but the groove was too big, or became worn bigger with time, and the pin passed through the middle O.o

• Like 2

Got 76mm MTC pistons in my gs1000. I use Teflon buttons rather than circlips.  No problems. When racing we found the Mtc pistons were better than the rest. Could use a tighter tolerance on bore as they don’t expand as much as wiseco wossner or je. 

Edited by Cheeky4648
  • 2 years later...
On 5/18/2018 at 7:08 PM, wraith said:

+1 on that,

I had a 1100cc kit in one of my gs1000, had now problems with it, lots of happy riding, but had a 1148cc kit (using gpz 1170 kit) and the same thing circlip came out and fu#ked a bore.

Not tried a MTC kit.

So a gpz1170 kit gives a gs1000 motor 1148cc on standard , bored out liners? Or is there more to this?

Edited by R1guy
53 minutes ago, R1guy said:

So a gpz1170 kit gives a gs1000 motor 1148cc on standard , bored out liners? Or is there more to this?

Much more, you need bigger liners and it's only one of the gpz models (can't remember which) but one of them has the same small end ( gudgeon pin) as the GS. 

I used them as at the time you couldn't get anything bigger than a 1100cc kit but now MTC do bigger kits for the GS 

On 11/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, wraith said:

Much more, you need bigger liners and it's only one of the gpz models (can't remember which) but one of them has the same small end ( gudgeon pin) as the GS. 

I used them as at the time you couldn't get anything bigger than a 1100cc kit but now MTC do bigger kits for the GS 

Ah,

Is there a documented Frankenstein big bore option for gs1000 for , let’s say, 1150cc +?

The point is, you can use ‘Busa pistons to make a cheap 1216 on an oil cooled so is there a production bike piston that has 18mm wrist pins and will give 1150cc+ (N/A) on a gs1000, (I know it’ll need new liners )

Edited by R1guy
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, R1guy said:

Ah,

Is there a documented Frankenstein big bore option for gs1000 for , let’s say, 1150cc +?

The point is, you can use ‘Busa pistons to make a cheap 1216 on an oil cooled so is there a production bike piston that has 18mm wrist pins and will give 1150cc+ (N/A) on a gs1000, (I know it’ll need new liners )

Mk2 busa pistons have 18mm pins as do gsx14. You could use b12 liners in the block, crank cases would need opening up & I belive the sleeves show through the barrel fins which need to sealed. 

Not done this but it might be possible. 

1 hour ago, clivegto said:

Mk2 busa pistons have 18mm pins as do gsx14. You could use b12 liners in the block, crank cases would need opening up & I belive the sleeves show through the barrel fins which need to sealed. 

Not done this but it might be possible. 

That occurred to me but a calc would put finished capacity up over 1300cc ( I didn't know what the 1000 stroke was so used a 1100 stroke and took a bit off LOL!)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

We can't help that it's got the wrong head, can we! :D

Just put a 4v head on the GS 2v barrels/bottom end, I'm sure you could get some of the cylinder studs to go in the holes xD or grind the 4v pistions down where the valves cut outs are so the 2v valves don't meat the pistons O.oxD