Fitting a GSX1100F into a GSX1100E frame

Hello,

Is it possible to fit a GSX1100F(1988) into a GSX1100E(1982) frame?
I'm having a bunch of problems with the GSX1100E engine, and found a good running GSX1100F. 
I just can't see when the engine is standing alone if it would fit.

Please and thank you

That will fit, there are drawings on here somewhere for the engine mounts to fit the oil cooled engine 1100f or GSXR1100 or Blandit 1200 engine into the aircooled frame.

the engine is shorter than the aircooled one so you can either push the engine back or forwards both have their pro's and cons.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with more details. (y)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, MSteenJ said:

Hello,

I'm having a bunch of problems with the GSX1100E engine, and found a good running GSX1100F. 

Please and thank you

Have you made any progress in it? 

And where is the project build updates with pics? :)

1 hour ago, imago said:

Is that code for "Is the air cooled engine going spare now?" :vu: xD

No, already got too many projects to do/ on the go xD

I think 6 bikes between me and miss w, is enough xD and 3 of them are in project form at the moment ;) and even in the bigger shed i can still run out of room O.o

• Like 1

I am doing the same swap myself into my 82. After looking around at the drawings put up online here and a couple other places, I converted  the information into CAD and I am having some cut at work from .25” 304SS this week.

If you have access to CNC, I can give you a .dxf  of the brackets.

I am getting back into this build after a few years of it on the back burner.

Wondering which forum to post to about it, as the only parts left of the original 82 GS1100E are 2/3rds of the frame, the tank and the side stand.

Let me know if you can use the CAD, as I don’t know how to post the file here.

Cheers, Zweihammer

• Like 1

I hope you checked the measurements of the drawings, as a few of these "drawings" on the net are wrong. I learned this the hard way.

Ive done a couple of these now, and the things to look out for are 

1. exhausts. make sure there is enough room for the headers between the engine and the frames front downtubes

2 petrol tank. make sure the carbs/ filters  will clear the underside of the tank and tap. Tap upgrade will also be required.

3. gearbox sprocket. make sure it aligns with back wheel, (will need spaced outwards, and when locating the engine make sure it wont turn your chain into a chainsaw on the top or bottom  of the swingarm, when suspension is compressed

4. TRy and centralise your engine in the frame , back to front  as well as side to side, to be sure the headers will clear the downtubes and there will not be an excessive space between the back of the engine and the swingarm pivot point.

There is more, but that should get you going.

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 3

Not as many GSX bikes with the air cooled motor still in them, a lot are going the same way and putting the oil cooled motor in them, so why not get a GSX frame and put the oil cooled motor in that and start a project, then you could have a air cooled one and a modded oil cooled one :D

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 5/15/2018 at 9:00 PM, MSteenJ said:

Hello,

Please and thank you

Can you put a SUZUKI GSX 1100 F 1994 engine on a suzuki gsx1100 ef frame