Engine Lifter

Muddy

Righto Then

I'm getting old and senile, but I'll swear I read an article here that showed pictures of someone who came up with an bracket that lifted the 1100 engine in and out of the frame using an engine lifter (I believe it was a Katana 1100 engine).  I've searched and searched this site and the web generally, but cannot find it again.

I have an 1981 1100 Katana and it is time to powdercoat the frame and paint the engine black.  I'd prefer not to roll the motor and frame on its side to put the motor back in.  I remember seeing the engine bracket lifting the engine back into the frame and thought "what a good idea, I gotta remember that" and you guessed it, I have not been able to find it again.

From memory, the bracket bolted on to the left side of the motor using the engine mounts and had a lift arm that went up and above the frame.  The lift bracket was balanced centrally in the vertical and horizontal planes so the motor remained correctly orientated.  The concept was to lift the engine using the lift bracket and an engine lifter.  The frame was then loaded around the engine from the right hand side.

If you happen to be the owner of this design or happen to remember the article, I'd be very gratetfeully appreciative if you could point me in the direction of it.

Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

I used to do it on my own the same way but these days I just call a friend.  Still do it the dame way. It's just kinder on an aging body to do a two man lift. Helps if the second person has a clue.

Horrendously heavy bastards these air cooled lumps. My lower vertebrae physically wince at the site of one out of its frame.

G'day Everyone

Thanks for the replies and information.  no class, that is exactly the lifter I was thinking of - thanks so much - nice to know I'm not losing it after all.  I think that design would be exactly what I'm after for a freshly painted motor and frame to try and ease it into position.

Muchly appreciated

Regards

Muddy

Edited by Muddy

here are a few more pictures of the cradle and the way it comes apart to take the motor out.

IMG_6141.thumb.JPG.347b224c1615871187ec70a5d58bb51c.JPG

IMG_6142.thumb.JPG.765a720223e7fbae1a5ea7bfff141d95.JPG

Im going to move the hanging point back further to get a better angle of dangle. First iteration was a wild guess. If you wanted to run a piece of stock parallel to the backbone you could use an engine leveler.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, NotStock said:

here are a few more pictures of the cradle and the way it comes apart to take the motor out.

IMG_6141.thumb.JPG.347b224c1615871187ec70a5d58bb51c.JPG

IMG_6142.thumb.JPG.765a720223e7fbae1a5ea7bfff141d95.JPG

Im going to move the hanging point back further to get a better angle of dangle. First iteration was a wild guess. If you wanted to run a piece of stock parallel to the backbone you could use an engine leveler.

Awesome info and a great concept, thanks for the extra photos - they will help heaps.

Regards

Muddy