Many turboing questions

I don't want to flood this section with my questions so I thought I'd try to contain them just to here lol I have a few questions about a potential gsxr 1127k turbo project. 

Will a garret gt25 too small To hit 250bhp?

Will I have to do any work to the standard carbs to use them as blow throughs? I think I read somewhere the diaphragm top cap needs to be changed for a metal one? If so any links would be good. 

What at sort of pressure fuel pumps should I be looking at to overcome boots pressure? Can I go too high? 

Edited by Phill106

Depends on what GT25 you select ! Personally I think a GT2560R would do it but not ideally suited - I'd prefer a GT2859R or 60R unless you want to run lots of boost (and therefore heat!) all the time?

Std. plastic topped CV36's will hold boost for a while but will eventually let go - swopping 'down' to tin topped 34mm CV's is usually bombproof.

Again its down to what boost you are running but usually a smallish EFI pump and good regulator is required with a fuel return to the tank - must work at 2psi ie. off boost upto 15-16psi @ 1bar or more?

Again, personally - an EFI system saves on engineering over a lot of these issues and releases more usable power through more accurate control of fuelling and timing!

Can't use the pistons AND rods in a GSXR 1100 - they are too tall unless you want to machine the crowns but by the time you put enough dish in there, there wouldn't be much crown left for turbo use! Just use the pistons on 1100 rods - they aren't ideal as the squish is to big but they give a turbo friendly compression that can be played with using base and head gasket thicknesses! They'll take a bit of abuse, hold up to 300hp if set up correct but the ring land is a bit thin so detonation will kill them double quick. Oh other thing - they need to be early Busa pistons - later mk2 had 18mm pins........1100 has 20mm!

Regarding compression it depends on how much boost you use! Low boost 'can' work with stock 10.5:1 CR but most can't stay low boost so some lowering is enevitable - I have approx 9:1 in a 1460cc motor that will pull over 2 bar boost but uses lots of tricky stuff to do it!

Edited by Gixer1460
More info
  • Like 1

Don't worry I'm expecting to triple my original budget haha it'll be a slow build over the winter plus the misses has given me free rain get and do what I want with it haha 

Id hate to think what you've spent to get where you are with yours lol 

Edited by Phill106

I have stock suzuki cast pistons in my 1127 turbo bike, use up to 18psi.Its been on the road for years, never had it apart.It does does have a intercooler....

A good tune is the key to a healthy motor, forged pistons only give you a margin of safety, they won't last if the tune is off!

I have stock suzuki cast pistons in my 1127 turbo bike, use up to 18psi.Its been on the road for years, never had it apart.It does does have a intercooler....

A good tune is the key to a healthy motor, forged pistons only give you a margin of safety, they won't last if the tune is off!

got any pictures of your system and intercooler setup JR?