Headstock mounted oilcooler

mr jason

1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

What bike?

I've  done a couple of slabbie race bikes and I'm doing a slingshot now. I'm in Dorchester.

20161027_191021_zpsuvph3brc.jpg.857aa8f2f38f4ff26f51876e494b0448.jpg

Cheers for the reply @dupersunc. its a Z1000J. Thats a strong looking mount there. How do you mount it to the frame?.

All i have is a mount like this on the headstock... Well actually that IS the mount on the headstock! Hahaaa.

Any ideas would be excellent thank you bud.

20180317_182749[1].jpg

1 hour ago, wraith said:

Did it years ago on a tuned GS1000 (no pics, way before dig camera ) put it under the twin spots ;)

Cheers for the reply @wraith. Where the spots on a frame of some sort?, or did the turn with the forks?.

I just put up a pic of the bracket on mine, was yours anything like that?.

cheers bud.

3 hours ago, mr jason said:

Cheers for the reply @wraith. Where the spots on a frame of some sort?, or did the turn with the forks?.

I just put up a pic of the bracket on mine, was yours anything like that?.

cheers bud.

Didn't have a firing on my GS, the cooler was mounted with brackets from the bottom/top yoke and it turned with the forks/yokes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wraith said:

Didn't have a firing on my GS, the cooler was mounted with brackets from the bottom/top yoke and it turned with the forks/yokes.

Thanks @wraith. Yes, It would be easier to mount it off the yokes.

Did you have any issues with the pipes always flexing/fatigue on the fittings or anything like that?.

cheers.

8 hours ago, mr jason said:

Thanks @wraith

Did you have any issues with the pipes always flexing/fatigue on the fittings or anything like that?.

cheers.

No, I put a clamp just after the pipes left the oilcooler  onto the bottom yoke then ran them over the top of the engine to the oil take off (which is at the back on the GS) 

You could do the same with a oilcooled motor but giving a bit of slack from the headstock to the bottom yoke then run the pipes down the frame rails.

I was using AN8 pipes as, one they don't take up as much room as the 10, two they have a bit more flex in them and three I always think AN10 pipes look way to big on a bike and a bit overkill, but that's just me.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wraith said:

No, I put a clamp just after the pipes left the oilcooler  onto the bottom yoke then ran them over the top of the engine to the oil take off (which is at the back on the GS) 

You could do the same with a oilcooled motor but giving a bit of slack from the headstock to the bottom yoke then run the pipes down the frame rails.

I was using AN8 pipes as, one they don't take up as much room as the 10, two they have a bit more flex in them and three I always think AN10 pipes look way to big on a bike and a bit overkill, but that's just me.

Thank you @wraith. All tips acknowledged. Yokes was my first thought but couldn't really find much info about it. Good to know it does work. Thanks bud.