1993 gsx750f project

Mark01

Hi all.

new to this here but just after some advise really. Just acquired a 1993 gsx750f that’s had a chain snap. Bike was stuck in gear. Managed to free it up and put it in for a chain fitting and mot. Only failed on a fork seal leaking but on test the gears jammed up again! 

Was as going to give up as there must be gearbox damage but then decided no I’m going to get it back on the road either by fixing the gears or engine swap as it’s too good a condition to bin off!! Anyone got any advise which would be the easier option please? 

Thinking I will drop the bottom of the engine off and see what I can see just in case it’s an easy fix anyway and if not I will look out for another engine for it. 

Never done this before so any advise as to what engine will go in  or how to get to the gearbox would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

mark

Hi and welcome.

Before you attempt to open up your engine, get a service manual.

The crankcases can be split without disassembling the top end (head and barrels etc). Just make sure ALL the crankcase bolts and nuts are removed, there's one hidden behind the front sprocket, and two bolts you can only undo when the oil filter is removed. The manual will show all the bolts and their locations.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.. 

i got a manual for it so will have a look through. 

Once the crank case is off do you think it would be easy enough to see/get too the gearing?  Don’t need any special tools? 

Sorry for all the questions, I have owned bikes and ride. For years now but never really had to strip them down so it’s all a bit new to me. 

Defo keen to get stuck in though and get this bike back on the road where it should be!! 

Thanks

Welcome to OSS :)

If you get the motor out of the frame and take the sump off you can see some of the gear box, you can as @Captain Chaossays you can split the crank case in half with out taking the top end off but you need to remove the clutch, oil filter, side covers, ATU and I think alternator and starter motor. If I remember you need to remove the clutch because these a plate behind the clutch witch you need to remove (or is that on the GS motors xD)

You can put a gsxr 1100 motor in the teapot ;)

Ok great thanks for the reply.

I was unsure if I needed to take the engine out or could do it with the engine still in. 

Will take it it out and see what I can do with it and if not then I will look at a new donor engine! 

Would an 1100 gsxr fit straight in and would I need to change much? That does sound like a good option!!

thanks for the help really appreciated 

I have read somewhere that a few engines fit in the bike but wasn’t sure if it was true. I know a lot of people use this engine in the 600 bandits! 

I was contemplating street fightering it too but kind of like the idea of having it on the road with standard looks. It has had a new respray in blue and looks ok plus I heard they are decent for longer distances!

what have you guys got? 

My mate lives in Scotland so am hoping it will be a decent comfey and reliable ride to get up there and back. That’s why I’m thinking leave the fairings on. Pevevious bikes are bandit 600, VTR firestorm and thunderace 1000. Have to see how it compares!! Made up to have something with 2 wheels again!! :)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Well I have got no further with the bike as time is limited and also have 3 downpipe bolts that won’t come off! I thought it might be selector forks that’s the problem. Can you get to them without taking the engine out?? I’m thinking try to get a cheap engine though now anyone know of any going for sale? Anything that will fit in will do as long as it’s running. Or anyone know where I could poss pick one up? 

Thanks 

You need to remove the motor to split the bottom end to get to the selector forks, good news you don't need to strip the hole motor.

I believe any of the 750 oil cooled motors will fit gsx f or gsxr, you can get the b12 and gsx/gsxr 1127c.f. Motors in there with a bit of work. Of course the gsx/bandit 600 will fit but a bit under powered.

I put a 1127 powerscreen motor in a 1991 750f  (same as 600f) very easy, used the 750 breather on the top of the engine as it's shallower than the powerscreen and the 750f cable clutch, only because the slave cylinder on the powerscreen was leaking, straight in on the 750 loom and plugged the 1100 cdi in, went like stink, any oilboiler will go straight in

Edited by Swirl

Thanks swirl. Any other sites other than Eblag to pick one up you know of? Good to know that it plugs straight in.. I have been looking for a bit and have just missed out on a couple of 750’s. Will try the powersceeen. Just want it on the road now!!

• 1 month later...

Just a little update. 

Engine replaced with a donor engine. Almost finished just a few small bits to finish off before I can see if it starts. I need to get the exhaust off the old engine though which is stuck on. Do any other exhausts fit on I.e bandit 600 manifold?

Hope to get this going soon before the winter sets in

Thanks

• 11 months later...

Hi all. Had bike running now for a while. Just need to do a bit more on the carbs (emulsion tubes and needles) and forks leaking. Fork leg has a small Knick in it.. changed the oil and seals but started leaking again. Can this be fixed or will I need to buy a fork leg? Also any brake upgrades I can do? Is it worth changing forks and brakes from a better model and If so what fit? Thanks 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:50 PM, Mark01 said:

Hi all. Had bike running now for a while. Just need to do a bit more on the carbs (emulsion tubes and needles) and forks leaking. Fork leg has a small Knick in it.. changed the oil and seals but started leaking again. Can this be fixed or will I need to buy a fork leg? Also any brake upgrades I can do? Is it worth changing forks and brakes from a better model and If so what fit? Thanks 

A. M. Phillpots do a good job of re chrome on fork legs. 

15 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

look in projects under  "Im a little teapot":D

its all in here, different forks and brakes and swinging arm and engine and cooler and ....................:tu

0heSEPQ.jpg

Looks good! Had a look for that and can’t seem to find it. Is that on this website? Will keep looking thanks for your help, bike looks great!