Carburettors

String

Hi

I'm new to your forum and I'm sure you get asked all the time but I'm struggling with getting my gsx1100 power screen to run on pod filters. (1127)

I have standard carbs, some say I need a Dyno jet kit others say I Don't.

Can you help me with an initial starting point please?

Do I need a Dyno jet kit? 

What main jet?

What piolet jet?

And what level should I set the needles?

I have cheep cone filters which I may upgrade but to be honest I'm not looking for power I just want it to run reasonably well so I can ride it.

Thank you in advance

Regards String

The cheap Eblag filters cause nowt but grief on carbs, much better to buy some decent Pipercross ones as it will run miles better. Go up one size on the pilots (usually in 2.5 increments so if you have 15s go up to 17.5) and try a main jet of around 125/130s as a starting point. With the bigger pilot jet your low speed running should improve massively, put the mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns from seated and work from there! Hope that helps! 

Just now, Wescooley19 said:

The cheap Eblag filters cause nowt but grief on carbs, much better to buy some decent Pipercross ones as it will run miles better. Go up one size on the pilots (usually in 2.5 increments so if you have 15s go up to 17.5) and try a main jet of around 125/130s as a starting point. With the bigger pilot jet your low speed running should improve massively, put the mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns from seated and work from there! Hope that helps! 

Just had a look in the manual, pilots are 32.5 so go up to 35s, float height is 14.6mm + or - 1mm. 

Welcome to OSS, stick around and you will soon be doing more than just filters xD

Cheepo filters are crap and will give you more trouble, so

1. If you just want it to run and have the standard air box put that on.

2. If not got the standard air box get some Ramair or K&N filters for it.

3. If you're not putting a more free flowing end can on you will be putting more air in than the motor needs.

4. A start point with jets, main jet 136 keep the needle in the standard place and keep the standard pilot jet size.

You may find the cheepo filters you have are not letting much air in, had a set of the cheep Emgo filters once and even when I put a hair drier in one end you could not even fell the air coming out of the filter at the other end.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, wraith said:

Welcome to OSS, stick around and you will soon be doing more than just filters xD

Cheepo filters are crap and will give you more trouble, so

1. If you just want it to run and have the standard air box put that on.

2. If not got the standard air box get some Ramair or K&N filters for it.

3. If you're not putting a more free flowing end can on you will be putting more air in than the motor needs.

4. A start point with jets, main jet 136 keep the needle in the standard place and keep the standard pilot jet size.

You may find the cheepo filters you have are not letting much air in, had a set of the cheep Emgo filters once and even when I put a hair drier in one end you could not even fell the air coming out of the filter at the other end.

Thanks for the advice, my 600 bandit ran spot on on chepo filters with an up jet, never missed a beat, with two into one straight through a.

Now I have the power screen 1127 with 2into1 straight through Plies.

FB_IMG_1516213783490.jpg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, String said:

Thanks for the advice, my 600 bandit ran spot on on chepo filters with an up jet, never missed a beat, with two into one straight through a.

FB_IMG_1516213783490.jpg

Will get some Piper cross pods though

4 hours ago, String said:

Do I need a Dyno jet kit? 

No. If anything, a bike needs dyno-time. Jet kits are a bodge in a nice package.

I run a powerscreen motor with dual K/N's and I'm on a 155 mains. According to anyone and anything, it shouldn't work because it's WAY too big. Dynotested; 135Bhp (y) 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Rene EFE said:

No. If anything, a bike needs dyno-time. Jet kits are a bodge in a nice package.

I run a powerscreen motor with dual K/N's and I'm on a 155 mains. According to anyone and anything, it shouldn't work because it's WAY too big. Dynotested; 135Bhp (y) 

I used to run a similar setup, Powerscreen engine,  with R cams, 4-1 Yoshi, BST36 carbs with two vacuum holes in the throttles, dual V&H filters, 155 mains, up one or two steps on pilot jets, lowered the needle one groove. Ran very well with nice and even torque curve. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, String said:

FB_IMG_1516213783490.jpg

OK that looks cool (y)

Now know more about your set up, with them zorsts I go for starting with more like a 144 main, you should not need to change the pilot jets and for now keep the needle in the standard place and see how it runs.

I've got the power screen 1127 motor in my kat but with gsxr750 38mm carbs and I'm running 150 main jets needles are at 2nd from the top groove and pilot screw at 3.5 turns out.

On 04/03/2018 at 11:27 PM, Rene EFE said:

On 05/03/2018 at 1:18 PM, Nik said:

I used to run a similar setup, Powerscreen engine,  with R cams, 4-1 Yoshi, BST36 carbs with two vacuum holes in the throttles, dual V&H filters, 155 mains, up one or two steps on pilot jets, lowered the needle one groove. Ran very well with nice and even torque curve. 

I also run 155 main jets on my power screen motor with b12 carbs ram air sock filters yoshi 4 into 1 exhaust.