gsxr1100 forks

29 minutes ago, riversbikes said:

Thanks Bloke -- running a Koso speedo, so would my B12 front wheel and rotors work, or would I need a say what now!? one?

One of the main reasons for using slingshot forks on 1200 bandits is all the other bits bolt on, wheel, spindle, spacers, calipers, to use the bandit discs you need 4 x 10 mm x  2mm washers to space the calipers in by 2mm, or use slingshot discs, and of course a stem swop, sort the lock stops and off you go:tu

• Like 1

Last question -- is the generation 2 Bandit steering stem the same as a Gen 1?  I have a 1997 machine, and would like to do the hydraulic press work prior to putting the new say what now!? forks on the bike.  I can get a Gen 2 lower triple with stem for $8.99 on eblag, but the current cheapest Gen 1 is over $80.00...

9 minutes ago, riversbikes said:

Last question -- is the generation 2 Bandit steering stem the same as a Gen 1?  I have a 1997 machine, and would like to do the hydraulic press work prior to putting the new say what now!? forks on the bike.  I can get a Gen 2 lower triple with stem for $8.99 on eblag, but the current cheapest Gen 1 is over $80.00...

Yes:tu

Thanks Bloke -- the forks and the 2nd set of bandit trees have been purchased.  The forks were a bit steep at $450 USD, but they appear to be in perfect shape -- straight, no pitting, and the seller claims new oil and seals.  Hopefully in a couple of months I'll be posting in the "winged hammer" section!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sent a PM to bloke directly but I'll cast a wider net for feedback as well.  I've dropped the gsxr lower triple off at a local machine shop -- explained that I first needed the gsxr stem pressed out of the bottom yoke before I press the longer bandit stem in.  I explained the need to support the alloy lower triple before they went at it with the hydraulic press.  Got a call from them -- the machinist is a bit concerned about how much pressure it seems to require to get it to press out.  He estimates 10 tons have been exerted with no movement.  More is certainly possible, but he's concerned something will break before the stem is moved out.  Any idea as to how much pressure is needed?  Im assuming the stem is pressed "down" through the bottom of the yoke, not "up" through it?  Would heat help (although too much would bugger up the aluminum and perhaps mess with the temper)?  Maybe the machine shop is being too cautious, but they simply don't want to damage anything.  Thoughts?

10 tons??? That seems an awful lot? Maybe the stem's had a coat of bearing fit, or somesuch? As long as they support the bottom yoke, close in to the stem, there should be no problems. A bit gentle heat on the lower yoke during the process wouldn't hurt either! But...the decision's yours! Just tell your machinist to be extra carefull pressing the B12 stem back into the '93 yokes though!

Ive doen loads and they usually go with a bang at about 5 or 6 tonnes, some do take more, my press has a gauge and goes up to 12 tonnes, i did have one once that Someonen has drilled and tapped a grub screw into the back to secure it, worth checking..

as you can see the stem is pressed down wards, and needs a ring or something to allow the bottom to come out. Ive never had to heat one.. it must come out as it went in:tu

PNgRFmm.jpg

vh3BoSA.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/21/2018 at 10:25 AM, fatblokeonbandit said:

Ive doen loads and they usually go with a bang at about 5 or 6 tonnes, some do take more, my press has a gauge and goes up to 12 tonnes, i did have one once that Someonen has drilled and tapped a grub screw into the back to secure it, worth checking..

as you can see the stem is pressed down wards, and needs a ring or something to allow the bottom to come out. Ive never had to heat one.. it must come out as it went in:tu

PNgRFmm.jpg

vh3BoSA.jpg

@fatblokeonbanditHi fbb, just so that I'm 100% on this, I take it that this picture shows the old stem being pushed out ? And the new stem is pushed from the underside of the yoke ? cheers