The journey of my Slabby racebike

Mole28

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The next adventure for my Slabby has begun. It is getting fettled and caressed in lieu of a big trip.

We (Rooster Racing) have been asked to put a team together for the South African TT.  It is a privilege to be asked as it is invitation only. There are 2 races at 2 separate tracks (1000Km apart) on 2 consecutive weekends. The first is at Red Star Raceway just outside Johannesburg and the second is at East London Grand Prix circuit.

I've never been to S.A. , so have no idea what to expect but it all adds to the excitement.

1781029069_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.f43799148503cb47da3656f0dfa18eef.png

20191116_105313.jpg

Edited by Mole28
  • Like 4

There is much to do to get the bikes ready for the trip.

Top of the list was more power. Don had stripped the engine and given it a clean bill of health apart from the rockers (cam followers) as they were standard and the billet Web cams that I bought had worn them a bit. The Web cams are really hard compared to the standard or Kent ones I used to have so a set of uprated ( and reassuringly expensive) ones were fitted. That with new rings and gaskets saw it race fit.

20191116_105307.thumb.jpg.4eaac8a4ee290bd7a78aac6311b5ab51.jpg

20191116_105325.thumb.jpg.5dfc921093ed905436b035179414d609.jpg

Don being the kind of guy he is said my Yoshi system was shit and set about making a new one from scratch. I needed a new can as well, but being the tight arse that I am, I bought a cheap Chinese carbon can for £48. A trip to the dyno to set it up and a bit of modification to the bellypan should mean it is ready to go. 

Don has gone over (and probably done loads to) the 1100 Slabby I raced at Spa in the endurance for Timo to ride.

• Like 6

All that we need to do now is crate up the bikes, spares and riding gear and take it to get shipped off on the 3rd of December. That sounds easy but we have to deliver the crates to a hauliers. If we put the stuff in the crates before we leave then we can't move them so we will have to take the empty crates to the hauliers, go back and get the bikes and bits and then pack it all up at the hauliers yard.

They will get to S.A. late January just in time for us to arrive. We land on the 29th in the evening and go to the track the next morning to unpack and start testing.  Red Star is over 5000ft above sea level so it will be interesting playing with jets to get the bikes to run well. East London is 5000ft lower than Red Star. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

South Africa was a blast. We only got to race at Red Star as the weather down at East London rendered the track unrideable . Two 6th places at Red Star which I'm happy with.

The bike has loads of power now and pulls like a train from 4000 up to the redline. Dyno'd at 170.4bhp at the wheel when it hits the limiter. 

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...