Jetting for V&H Pipe on standard 1100

Anyone running a Vance & Hines  4 into 1 pipe with an otherwise standard GSX11OO ,  If so what jetting works?

Just to re-cap the bike is a barn find and I've not had it running yet been going through everything and hopefully should be ready to try and start it by weekend but when I stripped and cleaned  the carbs the jetting is standard, since the bike came with the pipe already fitted and it looks as if its been on for a long time I assumed it would have already been jetted to suite but it hasn't.

According to the V&H website it says run 122.5 mains and 47.5 pilots with the air box lid removed can anyone confirm if this is correct for the UK?

If need be I can take it somewhere and get it on a dyno and jetted properly but not sure yet if I need to.

Also if I have to spend money with jets and dyno's, is it worth going to bigger GSXR Carbs to get some more oomph or is that a wast of time on a standard engine?

Thanks once again and here is a picture of the pipe, which has been blasted and is being re-painted at the moment.

V&H Pipe.JPG

If it's had the pipe on a while, and it seems like this is so by the look of it, clean and rebuild the carbs and then see how it runs:) The stock jet sizes are in the genuine workshop manual (online somewhere?) They may differ between bikes intended for different countries but not by very much. A good carb upgrade is apparently, and if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me, the 38mmm carbs as fitted to certain GSXR750s. I have no idea what jets to use on these for an 1100 motor but if you buy 750 carbs you'll still have to change all the jets.

Edited by Dezza

Doesn't the EF have different carbs to the ES? EF is 36mm whereas, I think, older GSXs have 34mm so base settings may be different.

My bike has a stock EFE motor and carbs, with S and B filters and a pretty much baffle-free Harris replica pipe and it has 152.5 main jets and a ledar air corrector kit. The EF stock jets I think are something like 125.

NB's ES still has the airbox so it may only require slight alteration to account for the exhaust. One other thing though, check the needle positions and compare with the stock settings.

Edited by Dezza

Thanks both, the carbs are 34's on mine and the jets and everything seem to be standard  according to my Haynes manual. tho old plugs were black when I took them out but that could mean it was run on the choke or the floats were out so I can't rely on that to prove anything.

I'll get it running and take it from there but if it does needs jets and further tuning the question about bigger carbs comes into play as it could be worth going through the same amount of work but with bigger carbs but the question is are the standard carbs a restriction with just a pipe and what kind of gains would you expect from the GSXR Carbs and dual filters which I believe is the preferred option?

Update;

Got it running over the weekend and it has a few issues it seems to be running lean, still running with no air-box fitted yet, I wanted to make sure carbs were okay before re-fitting the standard air box.

Anyway I've sealed of the vac pipe and will check the seal on the manifolds tomorrow and if still no better will lower the float height as when I re-built the carbs I had to adjust them quite a bit to get to the 22.4 mm setting quoted in the manual.

Also the jets are standard and according to the V&H site I need to go up one size in the pilots and a few on the mains.

So the latest question is all things being equal how much worse would you expect it to run with no air-box or filters because I want to get it as good as possible before I have a big fight with the air-box and frame!

FYI symptoms I'm getting are erratic idle speed, popping and revs very slow to drop after being revved and its not smooth when the throttle is opened.

Are the inlet rubbers in good condition? If old they harden and can crack and cause a leak, a problem made worse by using jubilee clips instead of the stock clips (which are impossible to overtighten). Yours looks like it still has the stock clips though:)

Edited by Dezza

Yes stock clips but hard rubbers. I adjusted the floats which improved things slightly but went too far with one carb dribbling fuel so had to call it a day. I’ve ordered the jets specified by V&H so will fit them sort out the float and try again. If it’s no better I’ll go over the rubbers and check for leaks I’ve not seen any splits so far.

Cheers Rick,  I've re jetted and adjusted the float that was leaking and its much better not sure if its 100% though yet so will re fit the air box and balance the carbs and see how I get on if its not right then I'll go for some new rubbers. V&H recommended 122.5 mains and 47.5 pilots and it does seem much better with them.

• Like 1

it came with 112.5 mains and 45 pilots, I've removed the air box lid as well. I'm going to leave it as it is for now and get it back on the road and then maybe take it somewhere with a dyno once its road legal. its not 100% but its useable for now.

Interesting about the 130 mains as on the website it said 122.5 which is what I've fitted, maybe that was for the US? or are there different V&H pipe specs maybe.

• Like 2