Help with oil cooled engine tickover

I bought a bandit 1200 ages ago and it was running ok. I broke it up and I've put the engine in a slingshot frame. The engine hasn't been ran properly in over a year. I went to fire it up today and it wasn't starting, I know people who frown upon it but I gave the airbox a squirt with easy start and it started straight up. 

Now it's back to life it's firing up first go every time, but it's ticking over at well over 3000 rpm, it's proper screaming it's nuts off even with the choke off. I think the best way to describe it, it's like the choke is on full all the time.

Would anyone have an idea what's causing this?

Possibly yes but it was ok before. What I need to do is take it somewhere and let it run a while and see if it settles. It's proper loud and echoing in the garage so I can't let it ticker over for long at home. I need to let it warm up for 5 mins and then try turning the screw and see what happens. I need to go and take it to an industrial estate or somewhere out of the way.

I also should check that the gsxr throttle cable isn't pulling the bandit carb open slightly.

Or a Major air leak, firstly you need to strip carbs and clean them thoroughly especially idle circuit.

Silly faults as said above or even throttle cable not returning, check butterfly are actually closing.

Check them properly, it is not going to settle.

Edited by jonny1bump

I have done a big change, but the engine and carbs haven't been messed with. I've done a bandit engine to gsxr before and had no problems as it's just engine in and out. The thing that's on my mind the most is whether the gsxr thottle cable works ok with bandit carbs. If it was slightly too tight that would cause my problem.

Maybe not a bad idea to make sure the throttle cable is installed correctly. I'd start with screwing down the carb fitting end to give the cable the correct slack and have room for fine tuning on the throttle adjuster on the top. Keep rolling the throttle till you get it to snap back. Tight cables can hold the throttle open and be slow to return.

But before I'd do that, I'd strip, clean and rebuild the carbs, set floats and mixture screws, inspect manifolds and do the valve clearance to eliminate fuck ups. ;)

It turned out to be the throttle cable. I had just done what fatblokebandit said and took the throttle cable off at the handlebar, I then fired up the bike and it's ticking over nicely now. Also I had forgot to running a rubber pipe from the rocker cover to the airbox.

The gsxr 1100 throttle cable was too short for the bandit carbs, so I used the bandit cable, this was a tiny bit tight. There was no adjustment left to slacken in, so I filed a few mm from the plastic throttle tube which now allows the throttle to go further forward giving me just a nice amount of slack. I got a few pics, but I will later start a project thread for the bike and put them in there.