Tyre Pressures

fergmc

Hi there. Apologizes if this has been asked before.  The manual recommends for my  750 teapot 33 front and 36 rear psi.  The new BT021 bridgestones I purchased recommend what I always use and that is 36 front and 42 rear psi.  I know from experience the difference incorrect tyre can make but what do you use as guidelines here - the tyre manufacturer or the hand book?

Thanks for any discussion

Ferg

• 2 weeks later...

Useful post.  Never crossed my mind not to use the bike manufacturer's recommendations, just assumed they would know best for their machine.  Hadn't thought about the change in tyres over this period.  I've been running 33/36 in a 750L on Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, though have to say I've not had a problem.  Maybe they will square off quicker?  Just checked Pirelli website and it says 36/42.  Will try what they say and see what it feels like.

Edited by FOD
Other marques are not interesting.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I tried Pirelli's recommendations for an L model Slingy of 36/42 and the bike felt shite compared to Suzuki's recommendation of 33/36, which I've been running for about 1500 miles now.  Rear end too harsh and skipping off bumps, front end white lining and feeling like it's flopping into turns.  Overall a very vague and not-confidence inspiring feel to the bike.  I use it mainly on B roads and country backroads which can challenge suspension set up.  Front forks have been recently serviced and set up by Steve Jordan Suspension Centre and the rear has a Nitron Sport shock on built for my weight - at 33/36 it handled mint.  After 20 miles I'd had enough and took the extra pressure out and bingo! bike handles again.  So IMHO it's not as simple as just following what the tyre manufacturer says, try the Suzuki setting too.

As a point of interest Pirelli's recommendation for the same tyres on my '94 ZXR 400 are exactly the same as Kawasaki's recommendation - 32/36 - and that's what I've always run.  Yet for the Slingy they pump the pressure way up.  Odd.  Doesn't do it for me.

Thats interesting, I will give that a go to see.  Its funny, your comment about white lining and flopping over is sometimes how the gsx feels to me.  I know that the shock needs replaced but esp on roundabouts sometimes you feel its going to dive in - just like my old GPZ 600 years ago felt.