GSXR slingshot M Steering damper - 1992 ( 91 model )

bertbuckie

Can anyone help me? I have an old GSXR 750 m and love her - first bike on the road and not long passed my test. Took me ages to get her running etc but the other day I had a hairy moment.... tank slapper and damn that woke me up a bit hahaha.

Went to see a mate and told him ( he is a biker ) and we started investigating the setup etc - turns out the steering dampers dead - obvious when its off tbh.

Sorry, drivelling on here.... my issue is I can only find a couple replacements - Shindy being one but its not adjustable, and in america. I would prefer UK as I am desperate to get out but cant seem to find anything universal.

Anyone got any experience with these?

26994257_2040163722677537_5605831718571493718_n.jpg

• Like 4

Nice bike.

I had a 750 M with  raised rear suspension and an 1127cc engine. I removed the steering damper as it died and never had an issue with tank slappers on road or track.

I appreciate have a damper is good for confidence and security, but I would check the head bearings and the rear linkage and shock also.  Wear or play in any of these can cause tank slappers.

Enjoy your bike, I miss mine. 

• Like 2

Thanks, I will check all and get setup right.... but keep in mind I have only been passed my =test 4 months or so, and been out 4 times. I am very inexperienced and its not really a beginners bike.... its awesome tho! I just want the added assurance I am less likely to make a balls up day 5 lol.

20 minutes ago, bertbuckie said:

Thanks, I will check all and get setup right.... but keep in mind I have only been passed my =test 4 months or so, and been out 4 times. I am very inexperienced and its not really a beginners bike.... its awesome tho! I just want the added assurance I am less likely to make a balls up day 5 lol.

Forgot to add.  Tyre pressures.  These old Suzukis have rep for being poor handling Dinosaurs.

In my experience, that's not true, modern tyres transform them, but make sure you're running the correct pressures.

• Like 2

as dupersunc said....

.....decent tyres with correct pressures will make a huge difference....especially if it's been sat for 10+ years, check/re-grease/replace/as applicable  steering-suspension bearings.

then if you can still get it twitchin'....set up the suspension as it may be on 'Japanese racing snake' settings.

and if you still get it twitchin' after that invest in a steering damper

• Like 1

And if you do need a steering damper you can get a Toby damper to fit these bikes.  Good quality and it's rebuildable, so it will last.

It's worth bearing in mind that a steering damper is only second to a K&N sticker for increasing your speed ;).

Edited by Crass
  • Like 1

also a beginners mistake is to pulling on the bars when you accelerate, should be pushing on the pegs with your feet will help. 

lovely bike , just be care full. take your time and enjoy.  it's the weight most forget about on bigger bikes. oh and look as far ahead as you can and where you want to go. (y)

• Like 1

Lots of good advice above, but needing a steering damper suggests issues elsewhere.  For liability reasons I can't see the manufacturer releasing a bike that needed a damper to be stable.  Almost like an admission of instability.  I did a 99 mph lap of the Mountain Course in the 2013 TTF1 race at the Manx Grand Prix with no steering damper.  Averaged 107 to Ramsey over the bumps with no problems.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the advice. I think it's because it's there from new... and I'm a noob that I want it tbh. A friend is going to help me check over everything and adjust rear shock and rebound etc. He also has shown me I can use a smaller damper by turning the bracket on the forks more backwards. I'll get it sorted :)

On 02/02/2018 at 12:24 AM, suzook12 said:

Another newbie error that causes head shake and bike wandering is gripping the bars too tight, a mate of mine used to do this, you could see his knuckles going white! You need very little pressure on the bars to control the bike.....

LOL - that's just reminded me of a crash at Snetterton.  I was getting arm pump when racing and a mate of mine, full of useful advice, suggested that pushing the inside bar was the best approach as it released the death grip most riders have on the bars during braking and turning. He'd been to the California Superbike School whose mantra was you could never loose the front end turning the bike quicker. Counter steering hard using a pushing action on the inside bars was something they focus don, and my mate was at pains to relate every detail of their approach. So, I went out into the next race and made a conscious effort to push the inside bar, rather than pull the outside bar. I ended up peeling into Riches at Snetterton, running wide, and doing the earth sky boogy (something I had never done before) - back in the paddock he asked what went wrong! Simple, I said - I should have pulled when I pushed, ran wide and crashed! What? he said. You can't lose the front - Keith Side says so! You should turn quicker pushing not pulling. Ahhhh said I. It's easy really, I pushed on the inside consciously releasing my grip into a right hander. I let go of the brake doing it ... I  ended up into the corner hotter than expected and ran wide!  Keith Code obviously forgot to mention that one!

• Like 2

The Pilot Power tyres suit Slingshots with standard suspension or with better stuff BB, great road rubber at a price we like  (y)  I started doing track days in 1994, those Pilot Powers would have beaten anything back then - real race stuff, but with far better manners - maybe bog stock now, but they're good. If you have the standard shock still fitted, it'll have very little damping left, which can cause instability/lack of control/lack of feel/filled pants etc O.o

• Like 1