Lightest wheels for a slingshot

Jay_111

1 hour ago, Mole28 said:

So, if I'm fitting an SRAD wheel to a slingshot, which part(s) of the sprocket carrier do I need to get machined and how much?

Im pretty sure you can easily machine 5mm off the carrier sprocket land on srad stuff.

Im pretty sure the sprocket offset difference between srad and oil cooled is virtually 10mm. If you measure from the center if the wheel to the inside face of the sprocket on oil cooled wheel and srad wheel the difference is what you need to loose. This is the most important measurement in doing any wheel swap.

If its for a race bike, run a 520 chain, you can space the front sprocket out by the difference in thickness of 530 to 520

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

For science, I weighed my 2nd gen (swept spoke with the hole at the end, flat front disc) Daytona 675 wheels.

Front wheel, spacers & bearings, disc bolts, no discs, no tyre, bang on 4kg.

image.thumb.png.b34feeeef46971b8ae0a175033e86909.png

Rear, spacers, bearings, stock steel sprocket, rocket carrier, rear disc and ABS ring came to 8.1kg:

image.thumb.png.41bb8fcb4176ceb6ebc95adae09cc5b8.png

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2017 at 5:00 PM, Leblowski said:

I am running z750 wheels same as zx10r wheels these where the lightest production wheels available at some point. The z750 rear is 5,5 inch the zx10r are 6 inch 

sprockets and discs are widely available

the sprockethub is so fat you can machine loads of it if needed 

1A83804A-C1D6-4E0B-97DD-BE188F5A0D68.jpeg

How did the rotors fit the calipers on the front wheel?

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

OK, I finally have an update on the Street Triple 675 R wheels. Fitting the front was easy. 32 mm spacer on the left. Some 8 mm on the right so the axle doesn't go in too far. Space the discs 3 mm out or the calipers 3 mm in.

Rear wasn't too bad either. Note I am using a 750W swingarm which is 10 mm wider at the back so gives more room to play. 19 mm spacer on the left centers the wheel and lucky me gives a perfect chain alignment. Now just fill the right with some spacers and RSV1000 brake setup.

IMG_20210405_142453.jpg

IMG_20210405_163522.jpg

Edited by snoorder
  • Like 13
26 minutes ago, snoorder said:

OK, I finally have an update on the Street Triple 675 R wheels. Fitting the front was easy. 32 mm spacer on the left. Some 8 mm on the right so the axle doesn't go in too far. Space the discs 3 mm out or the calipers 3 mm in.

Rear wasn't too bad either. Note I am using a 750W swingarm which is 10 mm wider at the back so gives more room to play. 19 mm spacer on the left centers the wheel and lucky me gives a perfect chain alignment. Now just fill the right with some spacers and RSV1000 brake setup.

IMG_20210405_142453.jpg

IMG_20210405_163522.jpg

Very cool. Is the sprocket offset 100mm from wheel centre as standard on these then?

May have to keep an eye open for a set

4 hours ago, snoorder said:

IMG_20210405_142453.jpg

IMG_20210405_163522.jpg

Knew it would be relatively simple. This should be the go to mod for slingshots.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

This is a great thread. Thanks to everyone. Was looking at OZ forged alloy wheels but holy hell they’re expensive. The 675 wheels look great @snoorder

just a question.. will the standard slingy front discs fit on the 675 front wheel? I noticed they’re a 5 bolt pattern like the slingy ones and was hoping just from luck that they would fit

2 minutes ago, snoorder said:

@Otattsthanks! Unfortunately the disc center hole diameter, bolt center diameter and offset are different so I used the Triumph discs.

I knew it would be too good the next true :|

Any reason for the RSV rear caliper over the suzuki one?

have you got a build thread for you bike? I’d been keen to check it out

• Like 1